OOA in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shasta_man

Hey I am from old shasta, west of redding. Do you ever dive at wiskeytown lake.

I really can't imagine not looking at my gauge as soon as I swap the tank. I always do because it annoys me when I get a "short" tank that only has like 2750PSI or something like that.

There's a lot of discussion in this thread about whether or not it's "common" or whether the gauge read in bar instead of PSI. Neither of those are relevant. The diver in question didn't check his gauge prior to jumping. There's no excuse for that.

-Charles

Besides the obvious human error on the part of the ooa diver, the thing I think is significant is that this turned out fine because no one panicked. Equipment failures and human mistakes are common enough. I think how we deal with them often makes a difference in the outcome.

I suspect the diver checked his guage and saw it was at or near zero and sought help, but had not yet reached the point where he could not draw a breath, or the situation may have been a bit more dramatic. I assume after he was on yours or the DM's air, someone checked his tank valve before the ascent?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom