OOA in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spector39

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
This happened at Columbia Deep in Cozumel. Approximately 20 minutes into the dive and about 70 feet deep, I felt something touching my fin. At first I thought I had kicked someone so I turned to look, and this guy had grabbed my fin and was trying to get my attention. He then swam up to me and showed me his gauge which read zero PSI! I immediately asked if he wanted my spare by doing the share air signal. He didn't seem sure and I think he was instead thinking that his gauge was faulty. I got out my alternate and gave it to him and he started using it. He then properly positioned himself on my right side so that the hose was on his side and hung on to my tank. He was quite calm during the whole episode which was nice because my heart was really racing! The DM was about 20 feet in front of us and it was probably 1-2 minutes before he looked around and saw us. He then came back and put the OOA diver on his alternate and they went up for a safety stop. After the stop he went up to the boat and the DM caught up with us and we continued the dive.

So what happened? We had a lengthy discussion when the dive was over and it turns out the tank was not filled all the way. This of course would have been discovered had he checked his gauges before the dive. He was not a new diver and was very upset with himself that he had not checked it. The lesson here is pretty obvious - check your gauges! Another thing to mention is that he did NOT have a buddy. As a fairly new diver myself, I learned a lot from this dive. One, how I would react in an emergency, and two it reinforced the need for a buddy and to have a good pre-dive check.

Sounds like you did a fine job Spector. Seems that you handled the situation very comfortably. You both got out safely which is the main objective.

If I might offer a couple of pieces of advice. 1. If you find youself in that situation again, offer your alternate immeadiately. Don't worry if you don't go through the proper sequence of hand signals, offer air. I seriously doubt if someone that is out of air will refuse to breathe off the alternated just because you didn't ask if they wanted it first.:D Second, if the diver is truly out of air, start toward he surface. Bang your tank or something to get the dm's attention but don't swim behind them for a minute or two waiting to see if everyone is happy and doing ok.

Sounds like you did a fine job Spector. Seems that you handled the situation very comfortably. You both got out safely which is the main objective.

If I might offer a couple of pieces of advice. 1. If you find youself in that situation again, offer your alternate immeadiately. Don't worry if you don't go through the proper sequence of hand signals, offer air. I seriously doubt if someone that is out of air will refuse to breathe off the alternated just because you didn't ask if they wanted it first.:D Second, if the diver is truly out of air, start toward he surface. Bang your tank or something to get the dm's attention but don't swim behind them for a minute or two waiting to see if everyone is happy and doing ok.

Those are great points. I think I didn't immediately offer my alternate because he showed me his gauge and looked at me like, "wtf?" instead of signaling out of air. In that brief moment we both thought there must be a malfunction in the gauge. Regardless, the best thing to do would have been to offer it right away. Definitely a learning experience.

Incidentally, earlier in the year I was on another Coz trip with a couple who were newly certified. The guy was using a rental reg which read in bars instead of PSI. Apparently, that tank wasn’t filled either and he didn’t know how to read the gauge and went OOA in that dive. So, in 2 of my 3 Coz trips someone went OOA. Is it really that common to get tanks that aren’t filled all the way??

Being a new guy that is a great story.

Just curious since it comes up a lot what kind of back up were you using (octo, 2nd reg, air 2)? Sounds like it all went very smooth but was there any issues or things that could have been better using your alternate?

I've had enough short fills that one of the first things I check is tank pressure when gearing up. In Coz D/M's and Captians often do the tank exchange between dives, so is it possible the tank was not changed out if this was not the first dive of the day?

Last edited:
Good job, but it bring to the fore the usual questions: Where was his buddy? Who did a gear check with him pre dive? etc.

Sounds like you handled it pretty well for a new diver.. FYI..when a guy shows you his SPG that says MT, it is not a question, it is a very STRONG indication that you need to immediately offer a second stage for him to use. You response should have been immediate in offering the reg.

To initiate some type of question and answer session (using hand signals), COULD be just enough delay (even 2 seconds) to throw an insecure diver from scared to full blown panic, and then you would have had a really interesting story...

Also, since I'm beating you up, it was interesting that you first assumed that the gauge must be wrong (presumably because it was early in the dive and he was not struggling). I consider that to be a mental error. It is understandable that you (and he) would be surprised by the reading, but the appropriate response was not to "question" the gauge or to wonder about it, but to give him air, check your own SPG, begin an ascent and try to signal the DM.

One of the most dangerous things in the water is.... another scuba diver...

Seems like regardless of the arm chair QBs on SB, you handled it well. :D

The best way to avoid these drills in the future is for people to CHECK THERE AIR before the dive. Diving 101.

And whats this no buddy thing? If you don't have one get one or plan on a solo dive with all that entails. Is this where we are training is at these days? Or maybe folks are ignoring their training?

The OOA diver failed to:

• Check his SPG upon initial pressurization when assembling his gear.
  • Pair himself up with a buddy.
  • Check his SPG prior to entering the water.
  • Check his SPG after initial descent.
  • Check his SPG for the first 20 minutes of the dive.

That's pretty impressive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom