Only recently decided to learn Scuba Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Hey everyone. I've actually only known for about a week that I want to learn how to scuba dive, after learning more about it and realizing that it sounds awesome. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near an ocean, and if I did learn to scuba dive I would primarily be lake diving until I graduate high school, with the exception of possible summer vacations to the beach before then. However, I am going on a trip to Europe with my family this summer for two weeks, and I have learned that there are some amazing dive opportunities over there. I am considering becoming certified before going to Europe so that I can go scuba diving, but I don't know if it would be possible to spend a day diving with the prearranged schedule, or if we would be anywhere near the water. Also, going to Europe is already expensive, and scuba diving lessons and equipment aren't cheap. I just don't know if I should pursue scuba diving if ocean diving isn't possible for at least another year, and probably more than. I'll talk to my family about it and see if it is a possibility, but if it isn't, should I still become certified?

If you want to get certified, then get certified. It doesn't expire. If you are out of the water for a long time, you'll want to do a refresher.

You didn't say where you live. I've seen a lot of people post saying they aren't near water and then someone reply with a great place to go for certification and dives. Start by stating where you in the US you are.

Good luck.

Howdy and welcome to Scubaboard. :admingreet:

Put your location in your profile, ok? Hope you have a great trip abroad.

Hope you decide to go ahead with your dream, and as stated above let us know your location maybe someone will surprise you with a great place to dive and get experience while you dream of your first Ocean Dive.

Welcome! My first dives were in southern Illinois and I had lots of good dive times in the local lakes and reservoirs. You don't have to just focus on ocean. Now I live here in Maine, even though I'm near the ocean there are still a lot of good lake dives too. Make use of it all and enjoy!

Where in Europe are you going?

I can not tell another person what to do.

I certified as a teenager, and did not get much chance to dive, and almost never got chance to do any ocean diving for a pretty long time. I did some diving, but for years it looked like I had wasted time and money learning a sport I seldom got the chance to enjoy.

Still, I never regretted certifying even when there were few opportunities to use the training, but later as I found I had more money, time and opportunities, I "rediscovered" my love for scuba. Now, I can travel, and diving is the primary focus of any vacation I take.

I say got for it, if/whenever you can, and you will probably find you are hooked for life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom