Online vs. Local Dive Shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Floridawannabe:
As long as you have been on the board you have not heard of the GREAT experiences at SCUBATOYS? Some stories state that the individual has a problem with something and Scubatoys has the replacement sent to them before they have a chance to send them the broken device. I had this regulator that the air exhaust piece broke and I called JoeDiverAmerica and they told me a return number. I shipped them the broken one and the regulator was fixed and returned all on warranty, a total of 8 days. I am not saying that LDS are bad because there are somegood ones, but there are also some bad Internet scuba sites. Where I live I have not found a good LDS available but I am still looking but since I found Scubatoys I am not looking that hard anymore.

IMHO
Im sure there are good expierences with places like Scubatoys...after all..they must be doing something right to be as successfull as they are....I on the other hand choose not to because of mine...I still consider my self a relatively new diver in terms of the amount of years Ive been diving....I just didnt have the success as some of you have or have heard from....thats all...

NightRaven77

NightRaven77:
No shares ...no job with them....just diving...

Just appreciation...believe it

OK, what gets my goat here is that you are generalising. It's all good and well to let people know of the great experiences you have had with your LDs, and that you have spent $X there, and that is great. But to tell everyone that their local LDS (based on your personal experience) is their best option, regardless of who their LDS is, or if one even exists, is irresponsible. Remember, your personal experience applies only to you. those experiences may hold information valuable to others, but it wont all apply.

I would ike to think that most divers are clever enough to figure things out for themselves (and if not,t hey shouldn't be int he water), by reading other peoples experiences with LDS's and online shops, and just doing some footwork.

My point is, this should probably be posted in the Kudos section...

Oh, here's a secret - the guy running the dive shop? He's there to make a living. So, yes, he does want your money. Good service is abviously a great tool for helping him get it.

Z...

Hello,
I am a new member with Scubaboard. I have been attempting to locate a reputable Dive center which can accommodate my dive needs while in Revelo, Italy but obviously I have been unsuccessful. I did manage to locate a Dive center, called "Laboa" which caters to divers in the Amalfi coast but after several email messages and several international telephone calls to "Laboa" I figured it was a waste of my time and money......Laboa never responded to email messages and would never pick up the phone.....some outfit.

I would greatly appreciate any help in locating a reputable Dive center by Revelo, Italy.

See you underwater,
Jim

jasace:
Hello,
I am a new member with Scubaboard. I have been attempting to locate a reputable Dive center which can accommodate my dive needs while in Revelo, Italy but obviously I have been unsuccessful. I did manage to locate a Dive center, called "Laboa" which caters to divers in the Amalfi coast but after several email messages and several international telephone calls to "Laboa" I figured it was a waste of my time and money......Laboa never responded to email messages and would never pick up the phone.....some outfit.

I would greatly appreciate any help in locating a reputable Dive center by Revelo, Italy.

See you underwater,
Jim
Jasace,

Try posting your question in our Europe Forum:http://www.scubaboard.com/forumdisplay.php?f=423

Edit: Oops! I see you already did. Well..... See if these links can help:

www.sorrentodivingcenter.it
www.laboa.com

Actually Z.....

the guy has a full time job and one that doesnt really need the shop to make ends meet...He has picked up the shop as a hobby he takes it very seriously....

As for what you said about being irresponsible for saying that the LDS is the only option....after looking at it...your probably right....there are probably new divers that dont have that option...true...If I were very passionate about diving and no other choice I too would probably see online retailers.....

Its a vicious cycle isnt it?

NightRaven77

awap:
NightRaven

Why is your homepage ( http://seaudive.com ) the LDS that you praise so much?

And then you have that link again in your closing signature!

You & Mike got more of a relationship than good LDS / Loyal (sometimes) customer that we should know about to fully understand your post?

What do you think of Dive with Martin:06:
Ya Know...

I really dont know why.....Ill clear it out....I was just filling out the areas...and figured I put his on there....no biggie...after looking at it as you see it...your right...

I bow down before thee...lol

NightRaven77:
Actually Z.....

the guy has a full time job and one that doesnt really need the shop to make ends meet...He has picked up the shop as a hobby he takes very seriously....

Fair enough, but he wouldn't be silly enough to run the business at a loss. My comment about him wanting to make money and using service to get it was more aimed at the LDS owners who pay no attention to their customers (kind of like my LDS...)

Z...

Zeeman:
NightRaven77:
Actually Z.....

the guy has a full time job and one that doesnt really need the shop to make ends meet...He has picked up the shop as a hobby he takes very seriously....[/qote]

Fair enough, but he wouldn't be silly enough to run the business at a loss. My comment about him wanting to make money and using service to get it was more aimed at the LDS owners who pay no attention to their customers (kind of like my LDS...)

Z...
No way...

I can tell ya...he has definitley made money off of me...thats for sure....There are good ones..and bad ones...Im lucky I guess....Its a hard business from what I have seen....I dont think that I would of taken on a venture like the shop he took over.....He is doing really well...I just would hope that other LDS's would take a page out of his book...and help others like yourself have somehwhere to go if need be..

NightRaven77

NightRaven77:
Ya Know...

I really dont know why.....Ill clear it out....I was just filling out the areas...and figured I put his on there....no biggie...after looking at it as you see it...your right...

I bow down before thee...lol

Unfortunately, postings very similar to yours have been made by "regular divers" who are in fact LDS employees spamming the board. So when you enter any LDS information into your sig line or user profile, it's like waving a red flag to our resident spam-sniffers. :pcangry:

I'd be more than willing to pay twenty-five to thirty percent more to buy locally. Unfortunately, I just haven't been able to justify the huge price discrepency between the Internet and my local shops.

Recently, I've been pricing new five mil hyperstretch wetsuites. same suit: $300 at Leisure Pro; $550 at a local dive shop. As much as I want to support a local shop, I just find it difficult with that kind of difference in price. It's a hassle to return things purchased on the Internet, but for $250, I'll take that chance.

Back
Top Bottom