Online or Offline box in lower left corner of posts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Vlahos

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I currently use Mozilla Firefox and usually open a new window (not a tab) when viewing a thread. In the lower left hand corner of each post is a black (user is off line) or blue (user is on line) box. How does the system determine if any specific user is online at any given instant? If I have two or three windows open how are you able to tell which one I am actually looking at at any given time? When I close all of my windows or move on to another website from any or all of these windows, do you know that I am no longer viewing this site?

Many thanks,

Mark Vlahos

Like with all websites we know when you clicked your last link (so if you have 3 windows opened, when you opened the last one). From that point we consider you online for 15 minutes. If you click another link that timeout is reset to another 15 minutes, if you do not click a link for 15 minutes, then you are no longer considered logged in.

Tech Admin:
Like with all websites we know when you clicked your last link (so if you have 3 windows opened, when you opened the last one). From that point we consider you online for 15 minutes. If you click another link that timeout is reset to another 15 minutes, if you do not click a link for 15 minutes, then you are no longer considered logged in.

Ah, 15 minutes. This helps me understand that little box a little better.

Thank you,

Mark Vlahos

Is there anyway for a user to change the automatic log out time? Sometimes I follow a link in a thread to another page and stay there for more than 15 minutes. When I come back to Scubaboard I've been logged out and all the new posts I hadn't read yet are considered old.

Is this punishment for looking at something other than Scubaboard? :D

Mark Vlahos:
Ah, 15 minutes. This helps me understand that little box a little better.

Thank you,

Mark Vlahos

Too much idle time. You guys should be diving more. :wink: :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom