Ongoing treasure hunt - every day on every dive.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

johnmckenzie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Full disclosure: I am associated with this dive shop so I hope this doesn't violate posting rules. But i think this idea is something that other shops could copy to inspire more divers start diving and keep diving.

Octopus Gardens Diving in Port Townsend has hidden treasure tokens at two of their local dive sites. The tokens can be redeemed for valuable prizes (e.g. $100 plus prizes). Once divers register they can search and find treasure on any dive. Most other treasure hunts are limited to an event but this is planned to be an ongoing offering. Dive Caching is another great way to draw divers, but prizes for dive-caching are often drawings, whereas this is direct prize. You find the token you get the prize.

If you want to steal this idea there are more details at Octopus Gardens Diving Scuba Store and Training

Sounds like fun! I've never heard of those two locations. Do they go by another name? I used to dive in the Sound, when I was stationed there from 97-98. I do miss the diving.

Sounds like fun! I've never heard of those two locations. Do they go by another name? I used to dive in the Sound, when I was stationed there from 97-98. I do miss the diving.

I have never heard of Point Hudson or The Ranger called anything but that.

Visited your link. I applaud you for having included this critical paragraph:
To respect the sea life we have placed treasure tokens strategically so that divers will not to have to move or disturb the surrounding environment to find them. The tokens are also located within the proscribed depth ranges of any recreational open water certified scuba diver (<60fsw).

Idea shamelessly stolen by Dive Academy Santa Pola - thank you!!

It would be great to stay in touch with other shops that steal the idea, so we can learn from each other. If you want to be on the list PM me and I will make listserve to share updates.

I like the idea of the tokens to exchange for an air fill card at a local dive site. Creates advertising for the LDS but not a large cost to the LDS.

I frequently do a side treasure hunt while local diving, it's just sponsored by the local tourists. Quite the collection of fishing rods, sunglasses, boat anchors, tools, downriggers, kayak/SUP paddles, etc.

For future prizes Octopus Gardens Diving is going to add some donated by local business such as dinner for two and local hotel stays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom