Ongoing Sinus Problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davebc

New
Reaction score
Ok this will be a long one but hopefully I can get some answers:

It all started in January. We were doing a 2 dives and conditions were cold but we dry suits and I had done about 25 dives pretty much all in these conditions. Both dives were to about 100 feet but well below limits and we ascended at a proper rate. However on the first dive I had a very short safety stop as my buddy was under-weighted and I ended up at the surface trying to hold her down. So we gave her a proper weight check and the second dive was no issues.

So I went home, cleaned my gear and jumped into the shower. After the shower I experienced some dizziness and my vision became weird. Almost tunnel like. I laid down and drank lots of water and quickly felt better. I called dan just to be on the safe side and they said it was probably just dehydration. Which it could have been as diving in a drysuit we tend to not drink as much water as we should. So I woke up the next day and I had a headache around my eyes. I figured I may have messed up my sinuses so I went to the doctor the next day and he said their was not much to be done for sinuses except let them heal.

So the pain was dull and manageable and it got a bit better with time and after about a month I went diving again. This time the dive profile was very limited, never went below 60, avg 35, and less then a half hour(also stayed a lot more hydrated). All seemed fine but later in the day and again after a shower I felt a headache coming on and the next day I was still in pain. So i back to the doctor who told me to lay off diving again, which i did but the pain never went away so I got some X-rays a couple of weeks ago. They showed that my turbinates were congested a bit so now i've been on steroid spray for a week and a half but it doesn't seem to be helping the headaches much.

I wrote DAN again and they said it sounded like a sinus squeeze and that I should see an ENT. Which I will when I go back to the doctor after the spray treatment is done(unless it works in the next few days) but wouldn't a sinus squeeze heal by now? Could an ENT do something to heal a sinus squeeze as from what i've read it just seems like time. I doubt it's DCS as I think i would have had other symptoms although the vision/dizziness stuff was a bit scary. Not exactly sure but I have a dive trip at the end of May and I really hope I can resolve this.

Couple extras:
I never have problems equalizing. I was not congested on the dive nor am I congested right now as far as actual fluids from my nose. Dive with a computer well within limits.

Well that's it i'm not sure what I expect but just wanted to throw it out there in case someone else had a similar experience and had a good solution. Thanks.

yeah they actually said see an ENT and doesn't matter if he's a dive expert. Up here in canada i just hope I can get an appointment before my trip.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom