One Week for Diving Rangiroa and/or Fakarava? Do-able?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA Fletch

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Greetings Fellow Bubble-Blowers.

I've read a couple of threads - and not sure I got a whole picture of the difference between Rangiroa and Fakarava. I'm wondering if I should try to get to both islands, or just focus on one location for the week? We will be on a sailing trip the week prior out of Raiatea, and then flying to one (or both) of these locations for the following week. I have our main flights, but need to schedule the inter-island flights and hotels for the second week.

We are both Rescue/Master.
Love the idea of seeing the dolphins at Rangi, although I know it's not guaranteed.
I also love the nudibranchs, but that's not the main attraction.
Last time we were in FP, we saw the mantas twice in Bora Bora, along with the eagle rays twice there, too.

I'm mainly looking for quality - and if that means limiting to one island, that's OK. Maybe we will be back eventually and can pick up the other one next time. I would just like to hear your thoughts on how to spend this second week.

Thanks in advance!
Susan (Scuba Fletch)

If this is your one and only trip there in the foreseeable future, I'd say do both. Just understand that (1) you will lose one day flying from Fakarava to Rangiroa or viceversa; (2) there are two channels (north and south) in Fakaravand both are worth diving, so if staying at both and then going to Rangiroa, that's a lot of running around. When I do trips that include both (or more), I spend more than just one week.

One option with Fakarava might be to stay in the North and just do a day trip to the south. But the day trip with two tanks will cost quite a bit more and a minimum of four divers is usually required.

I usually see more sharks and a lot more fish in Fakarava, and the reefs are arguably in better shaoe. But following the latest El Niño, I don't know anymore. I can tell you after my trip in December. When are you going?

Rangiroa also has sharks but they tend to be more scattered and deeper. You mentioned dolphins, and if this is a important, Rangiroa gives you the best chance to seei and play with them. I saw them and they even invited touching on my last three trips in 2017, 2021, and 2022.

Good advice. We went to FP in 2022, but weren't able to get out to either of the out islands at that time. We had a two week sail charter, and did diving in Raiatea and Bora Bora - roughly 14-16 dives or so. So I've wanted to go back to go out there. To answer your question, no, it certainly doesn't have to be our last trip there. I think I will take your advice and just do Rangi - simply because I really want that dolphin experience - and I would prefer not to be flying that much. We have a week sail charter from Raiatea the week before, and we'll spend 2 nights there on the island before the sail. So we're gone about 2-1/2 weeks. We can save Faka until next trip. Appreciate the advice!

I managed to do both islands in one week and I am happy I did both. If I HAD to choose, Fakarava would be an easy choice (it is still the happy place I go to in my head when I need to think of something good). Just my personal experience maybe, but Faka felt nicer, more authentic.... even all of the stray animals seemed to be better taken care of than in Rangi.

With a bit of advanced planning, you should be able to maximize your trip with only a week. There are usually one or more daily flights from Papeete to the Tuamotus and you can buy a multi-islands pass for your entire stay in order to complete the loop from and back to Tahiti. From there you want to just ensure you plan when you can get a direct flight from Papeete to Rangi (without a stopover - there are usually many good options with one that goes to Faka but stops first in Rangi), then grabbing the direct flight from Rangi to Faka and then grabbing the direct flight from Faka back to Papeete. The islands are super small so while you will have to be mindful of leaving enough time between dives and flying (though those inter-island flights do stay pretty low and I know some people that feel comfortable with leaving only 18 hours between dives in FP), transport to the airport from accommodation and boarding the plane take no time at all (e.g. you don't need to leave hours in advance. In fact, arriving 30 minutes beforehand is probably more than fine).

Rangiroa diving is indeed a bit wilder and has a possibility for some more diverse mega-fauna depending on the season (e.g. great hammerheads, oceanic silvertips as well as all of the grey reefies, mantas, dolphins). I don't know anyone else that was as unlucky as me not to have any dolphin encounters in Rangi (I did 6 dives and while I heard them on every dive, I never saw any) but I certainly saw many other interesting animals. The currents there can get pretty gnarly however and the lagoon does run rather deep.

I stayed in Fakarava North (at Veke Veke Village, HIGHLY recommended) and did one double-dive day down to Fakarava South (there were several opportunities to go but I recommend you book this in advance and schedule for the start of your trip as it may not run every day and they do occasionally cancel them if the weather acts up or there are not enough divers). I had an unpleasant experience with one dive shop that I originally booked with before arrival but was lucky enough to rearrange my dives with O2 Fakarava - highly recommend, they were really fantastic. The diving in the South pass is indeed fantastic but I loved the North pass just as much. Sure, you will see a few hundred more reefies in the South but the fish soup is still very impressive up on the North pass (and we got to see mantas up there). Shallowing up as you plop into the lagoon from the North pass is also quite interesting and diverse, with a ton of reef fish.... everywhere. Its really something impressive. I personally was glad I stayed in the North as I was able to take a bike and ride around, visit town and shops, get a massage, check out different snacks at lunchtime or for sundowners etc, whereas you are mostly stuck at your lodge/resort in the South pass. Honestly, I am still dreaming of when I will be able to go back there. Its just such a special place above and below the water.

I think we will go back to FP in 2026, and just do Faka either before or after the sail week. I decided to do the week in Rangi this time for the week, and we can relax a little more. I got a place with a great view, A/C and it's right where the dolphins are in the pass. Should be great. Thanks for your advice, as I think we will plan it for Faka the following year. Just a little less flying and losing the time in the water. Thanks again!

I got a place with a great view, A/C and it's right where the dolphins are in the pass.
Hmmm, in the pass and with AC? Pray tell, what's the name of the place?

I know of Josephine's being in the pass but I didn't know they added AC. The others with AC are Maitai and Kia Ora and Raira Lagon, but they are not in the Pass. They're all out of my league anyway but if I hit the lottery........

FWIW, the Tuamotus have some very picturesque atolls. Combining sailing and diving/snorkeling is not uncommon there. I wouldn't know where to start but maybe something to think about for 2026.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom