One Piece or Two Piece Drysuit Undergarment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jknightindy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
This question has been asked before, so I suspect some similar answers, but there is currently a huge price difference in the Fourth Element Arctic undergarments based on whether or not you purchase a 1-piece or 2-piece set and I am torn on whether to pull the trigger on the 2-piece or not.

My #1 biggest concern is the potential for midriff exposure in the 2-piece.

Would love to hear feedback from folks that have used both, what they mainly use now, and how they addressed the midriff exposure concerns with a 2-piece?

Thanks for all the help!

Here at least the one or two piece options are about the same price.

One piece can also overlap quite a bit and you’ll need good add weight to compensate for the extra fabric.

I always recommend the one piece if the sizing works for you.

And the Arctic is quite indestructible. Mine has over 500 dive and dozens of machine washes and is still going strong.

One piece can also overlap quite a bit and you’ll need good add weight to compensate for the extra fabric.

And the Arctic is quite indestructible. Mine has over 500 dive and dozens of machine washes and is still going strong.
May I ask at what temperature are you usually diving? Is it any good for 12-14ºC? Anyone has tried the Apeks Thermiq One undersuit?

Huge difference in price here. Fourth Element is selling the top and bottom combo for $199 currently. $450 for the 1 piece.

I like separates for 2 reasons that might not apply to you.
1) I have a longer torso and shorter legs, fit was much better with separates
2) Its summer now. Between dives, or while waiting for a slacker, I really like the option of folding down the drysuit, tucking the arms into the suspenders and shedding the top undergarment to cool off while topside. With a one piece thermal layer, that would be a little more awkward

My midriff remains unexposed, sufficient overlap and not finding the added bulk detrimental.

I like separates for 2 reasons that might not apply to you.
1) I have a longer torso and shorter legs, fit was much better with separates
2) Its summer now. Between dives, or while waiting for a slacker, I really like the option of folding down the drysuit, tucking the arms into the suspenders and shedding the top undergarment to cool off while topside. With a one piece thermal layer, that would be a little more awkward

My midriff remains unexposed, sufficient overlap and not finding the added bulk detrimental.
This is exactly the feedback I was looking for! Thanks

When donned, the Waterproof undergarment legging's waistband sits above your navel, and the top's hem almost covers buttocks.
1721946949901.png

This gives you two layers insulation, over top of kidneys.

May I ask at what temperature are you usually diving? Is it any good for 12-14ºC?
Bottom temps here are 6-13 C.

I wear Nike hyper warm tights and a medium thick merino sweater underneath.

Two piece always to maintain dexterity and the infinite combinations of layer swapability and cheapness

and to save humanity from onesie stench

Two piece. Can’t go wrong with the Forth Element Arctics, especially the Expedition version. Have many years and hundreds of dives with mine.

However, have invested in a Santi BZ400 + heating made to measure and it’s amazing. Much quicker to don and doff and fits really well. Excellent for those 2+ hours of decompression in cold waters. But at that price it damn well should! Now looking at a bigger battery :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom