One of those days when you shouldn't have gotten out of bed.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O2BBubbleFree

Contributor
Reaction score
Incidents 1 and 2:

Date: Yesterday, 2/26/6, ~11:30.

Site: Barstow’s Wendy Point SCUBA Park, Lake Travis, TX.

Temp: Site operator told us a constant 55*F, top to bottom. He was right about this one.

Vis: He also told us vis was 5’ at the surface and 3’ at depth. Turns out vis below about 30’ was a ‘fisherman’s’ foot. You know how fisherman exaggerate.

The Event: Working on my Advanced Open Water Diver cert, doing the 'deep' dive, instructor/buddy and I (one-on-one). Visibility at depth was 'maybe' a foot. We followed the chain down to about 90' (end of chain), then followed the bottom contour to 100'. Plan was to turn around at that point and retrace our route, but when we hit 100' we also hit a tree. Buddy lost his weight belt. He later said it felt like something pulled it off of his hips. He tried to grab it with his ankles, but was unable to, so he grabbed a hold of me. We decided to thumb the dive (obviously).

I started my ascent, watching my computer. Problem was, the depth was not changing! I was entangled somehow, still don't know if it was a tree limb, fishing line, or what. Now I know what it feels like when panic comes knocking. When I first started to feel anxious, I made myself look at my pressure gauge and reminded myself that I was still breathing and had enough gas to continue doing so for quite a while. That kept the panic at bay. I started wiggling back and forth to see if I could free myself, and my instructor was tugging on me. Within a few seconds we started ascending, skipped the safety stop (not enough combined weight), and decided to cancel the other planned dives for the day (again, obviously). Ascent rate was between 30 and 60 ft/min.

Lessons learned:

1. I now know what it feels like when panic comes knocking. I think I handled it pretty well, and maybe will do better if it ever decides to revisit.

2. First thing I probably should have done to try to free myself was to try to descend. The entanglement became evident when I tried to ascend, so dropping down might have cleared it (we were maybe a foot off the bottom). Not sure I could have descended, since buddy and I were both depending on my 16# of lead at that point, but maybe I should have tried. I knew I could take my gear off and try to clear the entanglement, but it didn’t come to that.

3. I’ve been thinking of splitting my weight between BC and weight belt when using this much neoprene. Still weighing the pro’s and con’s, but if I do, or if I go with a non-integrated BC in the future, a harness-type (something like the DUI Weight and Trim) has moved up on my list. I have read/heard of, and now seen, that loosing a weight belt happens all too often.

4. We had two major incidents at the same time: buddies weight belt and my entanglement. If things had gone slightly worse, I would have been looking at a CESA. Actually, I think it was lucky that my buddy was able to grab a hold of me when he lost his weights: he was able to hook the belt with one ankle for a few seconds, and he was still able to get to me in the next-to-non-existent vis. If he hadn’t, I would have been entangled AND alone. Not a happy thought. Worst case I could have ditched my gear and done a CESA, but a detachable pony bottle has also moved up on my list of things to have. I feel a ‘normal’ ascent with weights and pony in hand would be a better option than a CESA.

Incident 3 (Later that same day):

After we hung out on the surface for awhile (off-gassing adrenaline), my instructor was demonstrating some techniques I would have to be familiar with for the SLAM (Rescue) cert. We were right by the stairs, and he was showing me what to do if a panicked diver on the surface is trying to climb on top of you. I was playing the part of the paninked diver, he diverted my attempt to grab him, and moved around behind me. Then (from my perspective) nothing happened for a few seconds...

I turned around to ask him what's next, and he was struggling to keep his mouth above water. Turns out when he moved around behind me he got his tank valve/first stage caught under the handrail, and couldn't get to his second stage. I told him what I was about to do, then shoved him under the water to push his valve/reg out from under the handrail.

Lessons learned:

Demonstrate such skills where you have lots of room. I think the proximity of the stairs gave us a false sense of security after all else that had happened.

I told him what I was about to do so he wouldn’t be caught off-guard when I shoved him under, but maybe I should have helped him find one of his second stages first. Didn’t occur to me. I also could have given him my octo, but then when I shoved him under, I probably would have had to duck under, too.

All ended well, but quite a day.

Extra detail, should you care:

Suit: I was in a 7mm john and jacket, 5mm booties, 3mm hood and gloves. Although the water was about 5*F cooler than what I’d dived before, this combo was fine for me. My buddy was dry (er, actually, semi-dry. Seems he has a leak in the suit).

Weight: On my most-recent dive with this exposure protection in fresh water (1995), I used 17# of lead, and noted in my log that I was still heavy. I’ve gained about 15# since then, but am still negative in fresh water with an al80 and no neoprene. I decided to go with 16# for this dive, 8# in each WI BC pocket (older-style Ranger with two weight pockets), and was still a little heavy. Buddy had 25# in weight belt (on the way out, that is).

Both diving air.

Your comments are appreciated. Well, actually, your comments will at least be considered :wink:

wow... thanks for sharing

as for helping your instructor, your course of action was good, swift, and it
solved the problem. also, good thinking in letting him know ahead of time
what the plan was. yes, there were other ways of doing it, but you did
something that worked and solved the problem. one of my favorite quotes
is by George Patton: A good plan today is better than a perfect plan tomorrow.

as for the entanglement... ouch... good way to keep your head. glad things
worked out well.

That's quite an adventure. I'm impressed with how well you handled the matters. You are certainly ready for Rescue and more. Good job.

Thanks for the post. Sounds like a pretty exciting day. Seems to me you handled yourselves pretty well and learned something.

A CESA from 100' doesnt sound very fun, but I would sure try if I had to. :)

Sounds like if the instructor hadnt been able to grab you, he would have been in for a quick trip to the surface. Might be a good thing you had on an extra pound or two.

Here is the part that impressed me the most.

O2BBubbleFree:
When I first started to feel anxious, I made myself look at my pressure gauge and reminded myself that I was still breathing and had enough gas to continue doing so for quite a while.
Willie

Sounds like you handled the problem at the bottom pretty well. Many accidents happen from multiple causes (e.g., weight belt and entanglement) so you had a good demonstration of that. When things like this happen, it makes you a much better diver. You have gained experience in a very stresssful situation and you have also realized how vunerable you are and how things can go from fine to F'ed in a split second.

Carrying a redundant air supply is essential at 100 feet in my opinion. And you should also be reasonably confident that if you buddy does loose a belt and disappear in 1 foot vis and you suddenly find yourself very alone, that you are able to remove the BC to address a serious entanglement. You should not be worrying about if you can or can not handle removal/replacement of an integrated-weight BC. I suggest you try it out for real in 20-25 feet of water at a dive site.

If you became entangled upon initiating the ascent, the smart thing would have been to be very still and trying to become negative and slip out from under whatever hooked you. Although I have no good answer how the heck you can accomplish this with a bouyant diver hanging from your first stage.

I bet your buddy had a plastic weight belt buckle? Yes? They suck.

In my opinion diving in 1 foot vis, for a fun training dive in 100 feet of water doesn't really sound very safe to me. I would have called the dive when I couldn't see my feet at 60 feet.

dumpsterDiver:
In my opinion diving in 1 foot vis, for a fun training dive in 100 feet of water doesn't really sound very safe to me. I would have called the dive when I couldn't see my feet at 60 feet.

Someone's never dove travis... Down low you only have a few months out of the year where its really nice down there. And if you gotta get the cert done ASAP, there's not many options around Texas to get stuff like this done except going and doing Rig Diving. And to O2BBubbleFree... I'm sorry I wasn't there to help you... I was probably in the water when it was all going down, I just didn't see any point in diving blackout conditions, especially doing it solo (yes, yes, I know... tsk tsk tsk...). But all in all, you sound like a very cautious and conscious diver, and if you ever need someone to dive with... you know what to do!

Thanks for the replies.

dumpsterDiver:
...And you should also be reasonably confident that if you buddy does loose a belt and disappear in 1 foot vis and you suddenly find yourself very alone, that you are able to remove the BC to address a serious entanglement. You should not be worrying about if you can or can not handle removal/replacement of an integrated-weight BC. I suggest you try it out for real in 20-25 feet of water at a dive site.

Actually, I'm confident that I can do it. I thought I said that. I just think it would be easier if I split my weight. Especially in 20-25 feet of water where the suit is most buoyant. At 100' the suit compression reduces the problem. Of course, the vis would have made it more challenging.

dumpsterDiver:
I bet your buddy had a plastic weight belt buckle? Yes? They suck.

Not sure, but I think the problem was suit compression, and not re-tightening the belt at depth. However, I don't dive dry, so maybe a loose belt is necessary for air to move through the suit? The weight belt I used to use has a great big o-ring in the back that gives it some stretch. Seems to me they all should have one.

dumpsterDiver:

Well, I can't afford to go to Coz for all my training...

PvilleStang:
...if you ever need someone to dive with... you know what to do!

Thanks!

I'll probably take you up on that. My only buddy doesn't do dives he can't do in his 3mm shorty, and now he's unemployed...

Sounds like your instructor needs to take some more classes. Buddy or not, he sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Poor judgment, poor decisions, poor equipment, poor skills.

You don't have to go to 100' for AOW. In such poor viz, there's no need to go any deeper than necessary. BTW, did you have lights? Surely it was dark.

I would never carry so much weight on one belt, where losing it means you rocket to the surface. And I guess I'm having trouble understanding why he almost drowned himself on the paniced diver exercise. Why couldn't he reach either of his second stages? A simple arm sweep should be able to get the main 2nd. If not, his octo should have been attached to his chest area right in front of him. Was he playing the rescuer part with hoses and gauges dangling all over the place?

ReefHound:
Sounds like your instructor needs to take some more classes. Buddy or not, he sounds like an accident waiting to happen. Poor judgment, poor decisions, poor equipment, poor skills.

You don't have to go to 100' for AOW. In such poor viz, there's no need to go any deeper than necessary. BTW, did you have lights? Surely it was dark.

I would never carry so much weight on one belt, where losing it means you rocket to the surface. And I guess I'm having trouble understanding why he almost drowned himself on the paniced diver exercise. Why couldn't he reach either of his second stages? A simple arm sweep should be able to get the main 2nd. If not, his octo should have been attached to his chest area right in front of him. Was he playing the rescuer part with hoses and gauges dangling all over the place?

Guess you had to be there.

Back
Top Bottom