One of my Red Sea pictures, what do u think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

buleetu

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
hi guys]]

i took this pic with my e900 ages ago

what do u think of it, i would have got closer yes!! anything else??

DSCF0136.jpg

I personally think it is a good shot. You are already aware that closer is better so no need to say that. I assume you were shooting with camera only and no external lighting (strobe)? I think the colours would be more brilliant if it had some light pointed in the right direction but I could be wrong. It looks pretty shallow already.

Last edited:
It needed more light on the subject, which seems to be somewhat backlit, and better white balance, which can be remedied in Photoshop. I took the liberty of playing with it a little. I'm not the greatest at PS, but what I did was isolate the fish with the magnetic lasso tool and click adjustments>auto color. I then inverted to get everything except the fish (because the autocolor/autolevels will always overcontrast the dark portions of a picture with light in some areas) and used autolevels on the background. I then deselected and isolated the eye, which was in shadow, and used autocolor. It was brighter than I wanted it, so I backed off the brightness a bit. Then I used the clone tool to get rid of a couple of telltale outlines where the lasso selection wasn't perfect.
DSCF0136ps.jpg

Nice tip Larry. I just tried this with a couple of mine that I had been working with but just couldn't get right. Sometimes I want to make separate adjustments to the subject and background. I will certainly add this to my bag of tricks...

thanks guys its a lovely fish isint it, a broomtail wrasse i think!! i was snorkle diving so there was plenty of light there, i like what u did with the picture larry but i sometimes dont like what ps does to some pictures it on occasion makes the colors too saturated,if thats the right word to use, the reds are too red etc.. nice job though thank you

im not so sure if im gonna get some lights for this camera or if i will bite the bullet and get a housing for my new and first ever dslr, the fuji e900 is a good camera i think and looking at some of the pictures i have seen taken with it by other people it can great pictures when theres some more light

I always try the auto color and auto levels first, because often they are fine. If they give me weird colors or too much saturation, I'll go to levels and adjust the individual levels. My camera always seems to give me too much red, so I'll go to levels and reduce the red in the mid levels by 10-15%. It takes practice, but in the end you'll get good results if you play enough. Of course if you're a better photographer, unlike me, you can just print'em-you won't need photoshop.

i think it will be a while before im just printing them right away haha

heres another of my nice photos, i had a few lovely raws but my external hard drive is broken so i cant get them off and i never put them on disks like i said i would right away haha

DSCF0192.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom