One night in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fantastic~ we just booked our flights and will be there from Oct 7- Oct 20
Now we need to contact the dive ops you recommended in Utila to get diving and a room-
Then figure out the same for the days in Roatan - Most likely staying in the West End.
The dive ops I recommend (U-Dive and Utila Cays Diving) only serve the rental homes on the south shore and the cays, if you are staying in town you will need to use someone else but there are tons of dive ops in Utila town.

The dive ops I recommend (U-Dive and Utila Cays Diving) only serve the rental homes on the south shore and the cays, if you are staying in town you will need to use someone else but there are tons of dive ops in Utila town.
Ok- Are the South Shore homes close to town? And will the dive ops pick you up from the rental homes?

Yes they pick up from the rental homes (most homes have a dock). But the south shore is removed from town, there is a lagoon that separates Utila town from the south shore. Homes on the south shore are only accessible by boat.
I always say, that Utila is a tale of two islands:-

1, Utila town, small, busy, noisy, lots of bars and restaurants and lots of dive companies. It's where 90% of tourists stay. The least attractive part of the island, only 2 small beaches but if you want "action" its the place to stay. Best dive ops : UDC, Altons, Bay Islands College of Diving, and there are many, many more.

2/ The rest of the island, miles of deserted beaches, no development except beach houses, great snorkeling from shore. peace and privacy, only a couple of bars/restaurants, no "action". Most visitors only see this part of the island when they pass it on their dive boat when they're heading to the northside.
We spend 4-6 months a year there and have done since 2007, at this point we only go to town once a week, to pay our electric and do some grocery shopping. Only dive ops, U-Dive and Utila Cays Diving

Yes they pick up from the rental homes (most homes have a dock). But the south shore is removed from town, there is a lagoon that separates Utila town from the south shore. Homes on the south shore are only accessible by boat.
I always say, that Utila is a tale of two islands:-

1, Utila town, small, busy, noisy, lots of bars and restaurants and lots of dive companies. It's where 90% of tourists stay. The least attractive part of the island, only 2 small beaches but if you want "action" its the place to stay. Best dive ops : UDC, Altons, Bay Islands College of Diving, and there are many, many more.

2/ The rest of the island, miles of deserted beaches, no development except beach houses, great snorkeling from shore. peace and privacy, only a couple of bars/restaurants, no "action". Most visitors only see this part of the island when they pass it on their dive boat when they're heading to the northside.
We spend 4-6 months a year there and have done since 2007, at this point we only go to town once a week, to pay our electric and do some grocery shopping. Only dive ops, U-Dive and Utila Cays Diving
FANTASTIC info- I appreciate this a TON!
I think I'd rather stay in town but I'd LOVE to go see the South End and maybe spend a day there.
I suppose we could try to get a boat ride over there and back?
I'll be contacting the dive ops you mentioned and see if they offer lodging too! If not, I'm sure there are plenty of options!

I would suggest you take a boat trip to the Cays, it was the original settlement on Utila before the town started, Pigeon Cay is still a fishing village. Check it out and then have the boat take you to Water Cay, an uninhabited island, take a picnic and some drinks and have the boat pick you up at the end of the day, its lovely.

Fantastic~ we just booked our flights and will be there from Oct 7- Oct 20
Now we need to contact the dive ops you recommended in Utila to get diving and a room-
Then figure out the same for the days in Roatan - Most likely staying in the West End.

We love West End and go multiple times a year, so much so that we now have a place that is also a rental, Casa Delfin (aka Lodge D at Cocolobo). Pictures: Facebook ; Cocolobo booking: Superior House - Lodge D - Vacation Home in West End

We are normally there in June/July (kids out of school), but have also gone in October/ November (anniversary). It can be rainy/stormy during that time, more likely into November now it seems, but will still get wet topside in October.

Combined hotel and dive operations that I’m familiar with in West End are Seagrape, Splash Inn, and Coconut tree. Recommend in that order.
Coconut is an instructor school also, lots of younger folks, on the busiest corner in town. Splash hotel is behind the dive shop, so away from the main drag a bit, and next to their restaurant. Seagrape is a 5 minute walk past Sundowners, in a smaller hotel zone, so well away from the noise of “downtown” (all 4 blocks of it).

Reactions: Doc
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom