One night in Roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

graham p

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All.
I am traveling to Utila at the end of November for a week of diving but need to return to Roatan the day before my departing flight.
I am looking for suggestions for a decent hotel to stay at in Roatan for that one night preferably close to the ferry terminal and airport. It doesn't need to be 5 star but clean with no bed bugs would be ideal.
Does anyone out there have any suggestions from past travel on where to stay and where to avoid?
Thanks.
Graham

Hi Graham,

Our condo in Brick Bay is currently available. It is located 7 minutes from the ferry and 10 minutes from the airport. It is very clean, has a private pool and access to a natural beach and lagoon. I have enclosed the Airbnb listing. Feel free to PM me for further details.

Thanks,

Doug

My favorite thing to do in Roatan (other than diving) is day drinking at Sundowner's Beach Bar in the West End. If I only had one day on Roatan and I wasn't diving that is what I would do. It will require cab rides, but I think that staying in the West End would be the way to go.

Bring a raincoat, November is the wettest month of the year in the Bay Islands, sometimes it can be like the monsoon for days at a time that month.

@Hoyden: day drinking was the plan for that afternoon! thanks for the recommendation.
It looks like the hotel isabel is within stumbling distance from the sundowners bar, does anyone know anything about that hotel?
Thanks @EvilOtter for the condo suggestion, are there any bars/restaurants close by worth checking out?

Hi Graham,

Our condo is in a secluded area of Brick Bay and there are no restaurants close by. It is really best suited to those who want to stay away from the crowds and cook for themselves. If you are looking for bars, restaurants, nightlife, etc. then I agree with the above suggestions that West End and West Bay will be a better bet. Hope you enjoy your trip!

Cheers,

Doug

Thanks @EvilOtter, I would prefer to be close to the bars and restaurants for this overnight. I don't want to be cooped up in a remote area for the afternoon. Got to get out and see what's there.

So, I am here in West End for my one day in Roatan, and I am glad I took the cab ride out here. Ended up staying at the Bay Side Hotel across the street from Sundowners Bar and Grill, clean and conveniently located. What a pleasant part of the island! It is a bit strange getting used to all the prices being listed in American dollars after a week of dealing only in Lempira.
Rain every morning except yesterday and today, but I was diving every morning anyway. Sun and cloud every afternoon.
Thanks @Hoyden for the suggestion. It was a good one.

@graham p
Thank you for checking back-in! Write more about your trip.

So I came down to Utila with my Daughter and her boyfriend as she is moving here for 5 months to do her Advanced to MSDT internship with Utila Dive Center and I wanted to make sure they made it here and got settled in ok.
It was a 1and a half day long trip from Ottawa to get there, but worth every minute of it!
I was diving with Utila Dive Center every morning and helping the kids sort out finance, rent, grocery and cell phone issues every afternoon, so I never saw any more of the island than the main strip between the Mango Inn and Bando Beach.
UDC was exceptional to Dive with, on day one the captain spotted a feeding whale shark and dropped us next to it for a snorkel, unbelievable! None of the 11 dives I did this week were disappointing in any way.
Now I am checking out West End with a view of possibly snow-birding down here in retirement, sort of a reconisance mission. Flying out this afternoon.
The weather wasn't too bad, some heavy rain during a couple of the mornings, light rain the rest of the mornings but by the time the boat was back at the dock it had always broken out to sun and cloud.

Back
Top Bottom