One more step towards DIR...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trappist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does this mean i will ever be fully DIR ? Honestly I do not think so, but I'm slightly working on it ;o)
I switched to a BP/W setup and the only thing I can say is that I LOVE it ! I was told I was already nice and flat in the water but with my BP/W I had the impression this was so much easier to maintain it and be in that position ! I know have to go through my own learning curve on how to inflate... not too much, not too low... a couple dives should do if I do not use my dry suit anymore :wink:

Why I think I will never be a full DIR ? because of a few things... I do not workout enough, no time for it (and I love my little glass of one or beer...). I also hae received through my whole training in CMAS different techniques or setup that are not fully DIR, but I'm willing to work on some of them. Interesting one was the topis on the SMB I started :) I learned so much there ! But the most important one is cost... It might take me years to get there. Nevertheless, whenever I need to change something I will definitely think it differently ! And finally, training, linked to the previous one, if I want to get decent training on GUE/DIR, this is costing a fortune (in my eyes)... years ahead, time at which I might not even be diving anymore !

All this, to thank you all as I read all this forum and live the interaction to finetune my equipment, and just simply already experienced the difference :)
Good thing (IMHO) is my CMAS background, where we do learn about deco stops, sharing air with OOA divers (and practice it !), some level of Rescue as well... so I feel already confident I'm on the right track ! I just wanted to share it :)

I would just like to refute the evil insinuation that DIR divers don't like beer. I've heard some pretty nasty, unfounded rumors floating around about DIR types, but this one is hitting below the belt!

BTW, unless you are heading into a tech class, the biggest cost to switching over to a DIR style of diving is the BP/W. after that, all you need is some hoses, and maybe a new SPG. None of the other stuff is 'required' if all you want to do is single tank, recreational profiles.

As for training, $600 for fundies seemed awfully expensive at the time in comparison to PADI offerings, but now it seems pretty dang cheap considering all the stuff we learned, and how much of a difference it made to our diving.

Tom

I can attest that many DIR divers like beer, and food too!! :)

are you trying to tell me I could become a DIR ??? ;o) I think I'm heading towards that, we'll see how far I can get...
So far so good. I have my BP+W, harness is probably not fully DIR (not in one piece - adjustable on both sides actually), but I love it so far !
Here in US, will probably never have my doubles (I was looking for some second hand, but it was impossible to find at decent price) so I turned back on an odl good steel HP 119 where I added an H-valve, same stuff I have back in Belgium, also where I own an old dual LP95 that I love to take even if on the heavy side :p
As said... getting there... getting there ;o)
Working on my hoses, one at a time... discovered miflex and loving these !

And greatest news of all... I will be able to continue enjoying my beers, wines, good food... but I shoud limit the excess, I know... :wink:

Some wise old fellow once deduced that there are no DIR divers - only DIR dives.

Where did that guy go anyway. Been kinda boring in here without him.

Hunter

Some wise old fellow once deduced that there are no DIR divers - only DIR dives.

Where did that guy go anyway. Been kinda boring in here without him.

Hunter

I'm not old.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom