One last P-valve question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jar546

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Now that the drysuit has come back with the P-valve I am wondering if I should shorten the hose so that it hooks up directly to the catheter and points down in the natural position or keep the hose the same size and loop in up and have the penis pointing north and connected to the P-valve hose?

How to you folks set up?

Point it up. I like to route the hose in my suspenders as well.

Go north, Its also a personal choice something else to look into is the Quick Disconnect. Some like it some dont. I personally use it as I get set and have it attached before i leave the house you can still go to bathroom and once I get suited up just plug it in. If for somereason I need to take drysuit off I unplg and have no worries about the "Excess" left in tube leaking out in drysuit or undergarments. and just plug back together once suited up.

Another thing for me atleast it does take some getting used to. 1st time was actually pretty hard to go but seems to get easier each time. you may have to stop and hold onto something. Also for me 1st time I used it I felt as If i had a leak so I stopped and held rest lol, untill I got out as it was end of dive anyway but happilly there was no leak.

Am I correct that even with the quick disconnect, there will be some spillage from the catheter side when disconnecting? Don't see how to avoid that.

After disconnecting the QD, do you connect a male QD fitting to vent the hose and allow it to drain to the pee valve?

Thanks for any info. I'm going to try it all out this weekend for the first time, and trying to think through the procedures before hand.

I have not had any spillage with it. Usually if I am disconnecting it I will tilt excess down to run out then disonnect. This way it leave the open part on you empty and disconnected and the part sealed off. If any excess I simply point hose striaght up and push the valve down little and it comes out. But I usually have it empty before that.

Just easier to click the button and disconnect instead of sitting there trying to get catheter off or pulling from the hose. I prefer to just use that and wait till I am settled and in bathroom or somewhere I can take my time

Am I correct that even with the quick disconnect, there will be some spillage from the catheter side when disconnecting? Don't see how to avoid that.

After disconnecting the QD, do you connect a male QD fitting to vent the hose and allow it to drain to the pee valve?

You're likely to get some spillage. You can get most of it out before disconnecting, but I keep paper towel handy when disconnecting.

I also have a non-shut-off valve male fitting with a few inches of norprene hose attached. I use that for venting and flushing the P-valve after disconnecting. I use a large syringe to flush with clean water and then I flush with pure rubbing alcohol - I have a small bottle with a tip that fits.

Henrik

I dont have a quick disconnect and have no problems, pinch and pull! also it does take a while to get used to it but i agree that it still "feels" like your wetting yourself, I have never had a leak yet

Is the quick disconnect part of the Halcyon setup? Does it come with it or do you have to purchase it separately?

Back
Top Bottom