One Hell of a Clean Up at Hell's Gate April 26th

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubablue67

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi,

On Sunday April 26th several shops and dive clubs are gathering to clean up Hell's Gate cove. Everyone is welcome to attend and if you have a club our shop that would like to help us host please contact me. The fun will begin with a briefing at 11:00am and boarding of boats at 11:30am. Several folks from the PK area have been kind enough to volunteer to help shuttle divers to the site. After the clean up we will grill up whatever you bring along. No road kill please:D or yours will only be cooked after the tofu is done being burned.

It's been a couple years since the last clean up as Todd and Ann have been busy after closing down Scuba Point. I've been bugging him for awhile and he said lets do it. I know for a fact Todd will enjoy seeing lots of divers enjoying PK again. He is one biggest supporters of diving at PK and it's nice to show him alittle appreciation.

The event is free but you are encouraged to make a small donation to help pay for the gas used by the volunteers. If we end up with any money left over it will be donated to Project Aware.

Non divers or those that don't care to dive but want to help out are welcome to provide surface support. We can really use a few people to man canoes to help retrieve full trash bags from divers.

I have a link to sign up online and get directions to the staging area.
International Scuba - SPECIAL EVENT !

Meet us at BRA campsite #1 also known as Scenic Cove 10:30 for sign up.
Don't forget you C-card.

There is also a dive club that is promoting diving on PK thru use of their dock next to the old Scuba Point. I'll post more info later but it might be worth making a stop at their place and see the free facilities they are offering to divers.

Cheers,
Rich

I'm in. That's a hellava release form you got there. You must be keeping the lawyers in business. :)

Looking forward to it. I'll bring along my seeing-eye catfish to help me in with the vis, although last time I dove PK we had 15-20 feet at depth.

Uh, not to be picky, but what is the temp inside the gates nowadays? (Just want to make sure I have enough wetsuit.)

I am in for sure, that sounds like a great time. I have been wanting to dive that area for a while.

What are the depths? Just wondering if I should fill the tanks up with some Nitrox or not.

For the most part, you'll be doing good to get under 20 feet. Close to the Gate entrance and toward the west, it's deeper, but as you move to the east, it gets progressively shallower. That's where a lot of boats anchor, so I'm assuming that will be a hotspot for cleanup.

I have never dove Hell's gate. The time Troy and I were supposed to we had a little mishap with the boat and we ended up not diving that day. Now we have a bigger boat and I am going to see if he wants to go out there that weekend. Thanks for the post on this!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom