One handed light operation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would you want to turn it off during a dive? Leave it on until you are back at the surface. Are you trying to save batteries? I use alkaline batteries in my backup but have rarely used it, so cost is not something I personally worry about. I have given it to other divers, since everyone having a light helps keep track of dive buddies on bad vis days. For us a light is a tool for signaling and marking our position.

I was asking purely from a drill standpoint. I hadn't really practiced one-handed stowing because I didn't really see any reason it would come up. When doing drills, I've needed both hands to get it through the innertube, so if it was commonly done with one hand, I'd switch just to figure it out.

Why would you want to turn it off during a dive? Leave it on until you are back at the surface. Are you trying to save batteries? I use alkaline batteries in my backup but have rarely used it, so cost is not something I personally worry about. I have given it to other divers, since everyone having a light helps keep track of dive buddies on bad vis days. For us a light is a tool for signaling and marking our position.

My primary, which is a can light, is turned on before descending, or on the way down, then turned off either near the surface or at the surface.

Where I dive, the light is off 95% of the time. It would make no sense to leave the light on for me. That is the whole reason for my post, I needed to turn the light on and off, possibly multiple times per dive, preferably with only one hand. If I left the light on, it wouldn't matter much if it took two hands at the start of the dive.

In my hands I am often carrying a pole spear, a lobster net, a speargun and also a small grappling hook/reel attached to a SMB. Gnerally none of these things are clipped off during the dive, they must be available for instant access. One hand operation has significant advantages for me.

The twist-on head represented a significant inconvenience for me (until now).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom