One Day in Key Largo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MY01SHADOW

Reaction score
Hello all:

Planning my trip to FLL in the end of August and have decided to rent a car and drive to Key Largo for 1 day of diving. Have contacted Blue Water Divers and Quiescence Diving about charters, but answers have been vague at best.

my questions are:

1- Would you recommend one over the other (5 in our group, 4 divers and 1 snorkeler)?

2- If you had one day to dive Key Largo what would you try to dive?

3- How likely is it we'll be able to dive the Duane or the Bibb with two of us only OW certified (although we do have deep dives logged in the past 14 months)?

4- How soon should we make a dive boat reservation for weekday diving? (This Q also applies to FLL).

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Mike :06:

Mike here is my opinion. I dove Key Largo a couple of months ago and used Divers City in Tavernier. They were really good...the boat was not crowded at all, as a matter of fact there was only 4 of us and that was my group...ha,ha,ha.. if i was to go down again i would use them again. We did the Duane & the Eagle..were supposed to do the Spiegel but the currents were really strong and they won't do it. I don't keep a log book myself since i got certified over 12 yrs. ago and had no problem. they just want to know when was the last time you dove. I don't know about making reservations, and probably depends on how busy each place is right now. like i went a couple of months ago and they had room. plus there are so many places in the Keys that i'm pretty sure you won't have a problem getting a seat on a boat. good luck

Thanks for the quick response!

Mike

Hi, Mike. You might be able to get some of us locals to go down to the Keys to dive with you if you post a "private" trip (see subforum below Florida Conch Divers).
MY01SHADOW:
1- Would you recommend one over the other (5 in our group, 4 divers and 1 snorkeler)?
They're all good down there and while everybody has their favorites nobody seems to discount any one operator - that's a good sign. Brian is very accomodating to our group (Scubaboard) at Island Ventures (www.islandventure.com 866-293-5006).

Your dives are going to be limited, however, expecting to dive with the snorkeler. Frankly, I might do two trips or just let the snorkeler snork when you shore-dive FLL. I wouldn't even try to accomodate both on the same trip.
MY01SHADOW:
12- If you had one day to dive Key Largo what would you try to dive?
The Duane would be my preference. You can't go wrong with the Spiegel Grove, either, but the water seems clearer on the Duane more often and you can see it all (the 'Grove is huge but on its side and deep). All the reefs are good... can't go wrong there. I want to dive Loo Key - they say its the best - but I think you'd miss out on the Duane and/or Grove from there.
MY01SHADOW:
3- How likely is it we'll be able to dive the Duane or the Bibb with two of us only OW certified (although we do have deep dives logged in the past 14 months)?
Just ask the dive operator when you make the reservation. We've never had trouble and usually have a few OW's with us.
MY01SHADOW:
4- How soon should we make a dive boat reservation for weekday diving? (This Q also applies to FLL).
You're often safe the day before but why take the chance?

MY01SHADOW:
Hello all:

Planning my trip to FLL in the end of August and have decided to rent a car and drive to Key Largo for 1 day of diving. Have contacted Blue Water Divers and Quiescence Diving about charters, but answers have been vague at best.

my questions are:

2- If you had one day to dive Key Largo what would you try to dive?

Thanks a bunch in advance,

Mike :06:
1- Bluewater is great.
2. No snorkleing on the deep wrecks, Molassas reef is great.
City of Washington or Benwood for shallow wrecks that can be snorkled.
3. Talk to Brent at BW or PM him here (keylargobrent). If you explain the situation, he will work with you. Worst case he dives with you (or is that best case, he is a great guide :crafty: ).
4. asap

A lot depends on your training and experience. If you're a new diver, you might want to stay around the reef and possibly explore the Benwood or City of Washington wreck sites. If you've got deep experience, then the Duane or the Spiegel will be more interesting.

I posted a few suggestions to the same question on another thread (go down to #4):
http://www.scubaboard.com/t63179.html

Hope it helps,
Grier

Thanks for the informative guidance!!

I'll look into Island Ventures. I don't think the snorkeler would want to snorkel anywhere deep, but if we did Molasses or the like for the second site, she'd probably go there.

I was thinking the Duane as well. We all have deep experience, but my wife and I have not dove deep (over 80') since last may in Coz. My brother-in-law is currently finishing up a tri-mix cert so, needless to say, he's logged a bunch of recent deep dives.

Thanks again for your help and BTW we'll be in the area mid-day on Saturday Aug 28th - early morning Thursday Sept. 2nd. I'll post closer to time if anyone would be interested in giving us an underwater tour of the beach dives in Pompano or FLL.

Mike

HarleyDiver:
1- Bluewater is great.
2. No snorkleing on the deep wrecks, Molassas reef is great.
City of Washington or Benwood for shallow wrecks that can be snorkled.
3. Talk to Brent at BW or PM him here (keylargobrent). If you explain the situation, he will work with you. Worst case he dives with you (or is that best case, he is a great guide :crafty: ).
4. asap

Thanks for the help Harley Diver, I'll be talking to Brent soon.

Mike

GrierHPharmD:
A lot depends on your training and experience. If you're a new diver, you might want to stay around the reef and possibly explore the Benwood or City of Washington wreck sites. If you've got deep experience, then the Duane or the Spiegel will be more interesting.

I posted a few suggestions to the same question on another thread (go down to #4):
http://www.scubaboard.com/t63179.html

Hope it helps,
Grier

Will check out the link. Thanks a bunch!

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom