Onboard Nitrox System

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks again. Just curious, but do you know why my Bauer Mariner can't pump nitrox? Is it because it's a Mariner 1?
Also did you guys get the whole system from Nuvair? Happy with them?

I see no reason why it couldn't pump nitrox....

but there are several ways you can make nitrox. like partial pressure blending or using a membrane.

if it's partial pressure, maybe they put that on there because it has an oil leak that they didn't fix.... or that simply it's not producing o2 clean air for some reason.

but you need to find out why they put that tag on there.

Thank you for the reply. I bought this from Blue Grotto who claimed they rebuilt it fully thus it should pump nitrox. I'm just not comfortable with the compressor especially after reading a number of posts here. I should have bought a new system. It maybe a great compressor, but we just do not want to take any risks, so I'm selling it.
The nuvair system seems to be one way to go. I'm not sure till I get more feedback from users.
Again, thank you.

The nuvair system seems to be one way to go. I'm not sure till I get more feedback from users.
Again, thank you.

Contact Mark Derrick or Charles at 954-786-0661. They run Fill Express in Pompano Beach and pump HUGE amounts of nitrox using Nuvair systems.

They retail it for 10 cents/cubic foot so figure there's profit in that number and actual cost is less.

Thanks again. Just curious, but do you know why my Bauer Mariner can't pump nitrox? Is it because it's a Mariner 1?
Also did you guys get the whole system from Nuvair? Happy with them?

The Bauer can pump the nitrox up to 40% with the right oil. Bauer just looks to get out of the warranty any way they can.

Thanks again to everyone for all the replies. I called Bauer and they told me all Bauer compressors have the "no nitrox" tag. They directed me to Brownies Third Lung for Nitrox. Why Bauer places this tag? Well, they say it's because pumping nitrox causes more compressor wear and tear. They declined to talk about nitrox further.
Comments?

Thanks again to everyone for all the replies. I called Bauer and they told me all Bauer compressors have the "no nitrox" tag. They directed me to Brownies Third Lung for Nitrox. Why Bauer places this tag? Well, they say it's because pumping nitrox causes more compressor wear and tear. They declined to talk about nitrox further.
Comments?

seems to me like scared of liability by a bunch of "home brewers".

People use Bauers to pump nitrox every day.

The biggest fear compressor manufacturers have about Nitrox is a bad mixing stick running a slug of O2 through the cylinders. Next concern, not as big a worry but important all the same, is the faster degradation of oil and rubber seals. By the way ... Brownies is just a reconfigured Bauer compressor.

That's why Coltri says that their machines are only Nitrox compatible using a membrane system ... impossible to make a slug of O2. Plus, oil is now 100% synthetic from day one and is recommended to be changed more often.

That said, you should be able to use your compressor by shifting over to synthetic oil and installing a membrane system. A single stick can handle up to 10 CFM and make up to 40%. You will either have to use standard air reduced to 100-150 psi to supply the membrane (it takes about two tanks of air to make one tank of Nitrox) or have a low pressure compressor on board. Of course the LP compressor is easier but a good one will run you a few bucks and take up some room.

As for Nuvair, they are the world's largest distributor of Coltri compressors and they build all the Coltri Nitrox machines (mine too). There is just no one better for your custom membrane installation.

FWIW, Bauer San Francisco is about a mile from my house and I'd go over there frequently.

When I asked about pumping nitrox through my Capitano block Utilus, the tech said "change the oil to synthetic and keep it below 40%." That was it. He also asked me if it was a stick or membrane, so it must be pretty common knowledge that lots of people continuously blend nitrox with their compressors.

Of course it is no longer under warranty, so it's probably exactly like the others have mentioned; out of warranty = ok to pump nitrox.

Back
Top Bottom