on gassing vs off gassing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AquaTec

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hey doc I have a therory I want to run passed you.

I will try to explain it the best i can, possible by example

all things being equal; if you are doing a dive that you become completely saturated and durring that dive you are using large muscle groups like your legs etc.

say you are swimming agianst a current, say at 200 - 300 feet.

now it comes down to decompression, off gassing

if we are ongassing via bloodflow, and durring exercise our bloodflow increases. then would we not need to maintain that same level of exertion durring the offgassing stage. or extend the offgassing time.

again all other factors being equal, and not exurting excessivley just within reason.

what i see being taught and practiced is say at that 20 foot for 60 minutes deco stop the diver is just hanging on the line or even just sitting in the sand until the time expires. yet durring the dive they swam 1000 feet in distance

would this hanging not slow the bloodflow down compared to the exercise portion, and there for slow down the off gassing of various [especialy slow] tissues.

techdiver2us once bubbled...
I think you're kinda leaning in the wrong direction. Time is good, exertion is bad.

Now that I read what I wrote... it definately didn't come out the way I intended... I was intending more to imply my limited understanding that stop times need to take into account the difference in exertion between the working part of a dive and the hang...

So I anxiously await the true professionals to step in with their answers... :)

but I think that exertion at depth is perhaps a bad idea to start with... rather than burn through a lot of gas and also increase the CO2 load it would be better to use a scooter or baring that limit the horizontal distance covered.

Just a novice POV.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...
but I think that exertion at depth is perhaps a bad idea to start with...

When you can help it... The situations that have had the same thoughts as aquatec are related to dealing with currents. If you on-gas swimming against a current, are you better off resting on the line or hanging off the line swimming against the current?

Exertion on deco bad too. Why I use a Jonline, found a clenched fist on the anchorline with a flag in the breeze scenario had undesired effects.

gentalmen
lets not get caught up in the word exertion.

that is not what i ment. Pug is correct with CO2 build up

what i ment is finning versus non finning. it is not exertion it is the use of muscle groups that potentily are not used durring deco.

i am just saying that if there is a difference between our diving energy output and our deco energy output then our deco should be done different

"increase the CO2 load"??

How does that happen??

My degree-one of them- is in physiology, specifically respiratory physiology and I don't understand how CO2 increases(actually it usually DECREASES with sustained exertion on land) but a lot of weird things happen in the depths.

Is there a book that is the revered tome of U/W physiology?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom