OMS SMB Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PnL

Reaction score
I have had little luck trying to find out the inflation method(s) for the OMS 5'2" 50lb lift SMB. Does anyone use this? Could you tell me if this is a closed, semi-closed, open marker? Is it inflated by the power inflator? Can it be inflated with a 2nd stage or orally? Also, how small is it when it is folded up - will it fit in the Halcyon BP pak?

TIA
Paul

Does anyone use this? I've had one of the orange (not the yellow "Emergency" marked) ones for several years.

Could you tell me if this is a closed, semi-closed, open marker? Semi-closed duckbill (one-way baffle) with an OPV. It won't spill, even when used as an emergency floatation noodle.

Is it inflated by the power inflator? No - there is no LP nipple.

Can it be inflated with a 2nd stage or orally? I use a second stage. Boyle's Law allows for oral inflation at depth, but there is no nipple and on the surface it would be a PITA.

Also, how small is it when it is folded up - will it fit in the Halcyon BP pak? It's small enough, but it's a heavy fabric and the OPV is a lump and deployment from the BP pack is not good - save that space for a camelbak. I roll mine and either bungee it to the side of my backplate or slip it in a pouch with a small spool and a double-ender and hang that from my backplate.

The 90# is too big - if you need that much surface marking it would be better to carry a dye pack or two and a smaller SMB. The 50# works well for OW hangs as well as emergency beacon/flotation duties and allows for me to pay attention to things other than maintaining adequate tension on my line. Poor skills, perhaps, but there you have it.

Steven

Thanks for the detailed info - that helps a lot.

I guess what I'm looking for is a lift bag/SMB that can be inflated at depth and at the surface w/o losing air. It seems that a semi-closed circuit is what I need. Do the Halcyon SMB's allow inflation by a 2nd stage? It seems, based on their website, that these are only inflated with a LP hose which my wife and I do not have (we dive wet only).

Back
Top Bottom