OMS Slipstreams/XS Turtles pocket sizing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jimmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Does anyone have a chart that compares the foot pocket size of Turtles and Slipstreams? I tried on a set of XXL Slipstreams and they fit my White's Evo boots really nicely, but since the shop I am doing my DM with can only get Turtles, I'd like to support them. Anyone know which size of Turtles will be closest?

Thanks,
Jim

Yes ... XXXL ... do not order the XXL Turtles, they're closer to an XL Slipstream foot pocket size. And even the XXXL Turtles have a somewhat smaller foot pocket than the XXL Slipstreams, which were too large for my size 10 Bare rock boots ... so you might want to try on a pair to make sure they're gonna fit before you buy.

FWIW - I just ordered a new set of XXXL Turtles too. The ones I'm using have something like 1,200+ dives on 'em, and they're getting a bit floppy. The newer (XS Scuba) ones seem to be a bit stiffer than the older model ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Ok so the XXXL Turtles are actually a little smaller than the XXL Slipstreams? That sounds about perfect, I had just a bit of room in the XXL Slipstreams.

Turtles come in sizes? When did that start? I thought they were one size ... BIG! They didn't used to come in various sizes.

They have 2 now, the XXXL which was the 'big" as you mentioned, and a XXL I guess for wetsuits or smaller drysuit boots.

They have 2 now, the XXXL which was the 'big" as you mentioned, and a XXL I guess for wetsuits or smaller drysuit boots.

Too many X's. They should just call them Wetsuit Turtles and Drysuit Turtles and leave it at that. :D

Turtles come in sizes? When did that start? I thought they were one size ... BIG! They didn't used to come in various sizes.

It started when XS Scuba started making 'em. The older version came in one size only.

The other change they made was to make them stiffer by thickening the rubber along the trailing edge of the fin.

I ordered a new pair when I found that out, because I want to see how differently it performs. My gut tells me it'll have more resistance, and therefore produce more thrust per kick ... or at least, I'm hoping so ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGD:
It was in April 2004 that we (XS Scuba) purchased the assets of IDI (International Divers) from a public bankruptcy auction held by Wells Fargo Bank. Part of this purchase was ownership of the vintage (early 1970's) Turtle Fin tooling. We immediately put the original 3XL size Turtle Fin back into production. The 3XL Turtle Fin continues to be manufactured in the same US factory, with the exact same rubber compound, using the same original tooling and for the most part all the same workers as when produced by IDI.

Your statement that the tooling was modified by XS Scuba is not correct. We have not made any changes to the tooling or material used in manufacturing the 3XL Turtle. The only change I made was to build new rubber fin strap tooling with our XS Scuba name added.

The new size Turtle Fin tooling was completed at the end of 2007, with the first 2XL Turtle Fins shipping to our dealers in January 2008. This new size was made at the request of many of our dealers. The 2XL size is a combination of the 3XL Turtle Fin blade and a foot pocket equal to the XL size Jetfin.

I appreciate your support of XS Scuba.

It started when XS Scuba started making 'em. The older version came in one size only.

The other change they made was to make them stiffer by thickening the rubber along the trailing edge of the fin.

I ordered a new pair when I found that out, because I want to see how differently it performs. My gut tells me it'll have more resistance, and therefore produce more thrust per kick ... or at least, I'm hoping so ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGD:
It was in April 2004 that we (XS Scuba) purchased the assets of IDI (International Divers) from a public bankruptcy auction held by Wells Fargo Bank. Part of this purchase was ownership of the vintage (early 1970's) Turtle Fin tooling. We immediately put the original 3XL size Turtle Fin back into production. The 3XL Turtle Fin continues to be manufactured in the same US factory, with the exact same rubber compound, using the same original tooling and for the most part all the same workers as when produced by IDI.

Your statement that the tooling was modified by XS Scuba is not correct. We have not made any changes to the tooling or material used in manufacturing the 3XL Turtle. The only change I made was to build new rubber fin strap tooling with our XS Scuba name added.

The new size Turtle Fin tooling was completed at the end of 2007, with the first 2XL Turtle Fins shipping to our dealers in January 2008. This new size was made at the request of many of our dealers. The 2XL size is a combination of the 3XL Turtle Fin blade and a foot pocket equal to the XL size Jetfin.

I appreciate your support of XS Scuba.

Thanks for the correction Mike. Would you have been the person I met at the Tacoma Dive Expo?

When I put my present set of Turtles up next to a new set, the edge of the fin blade on the new ones looked much thicker. That's what caused me to conclude that they were modified.

Perhaps it's just due to wear-n-tear ... got a lot of dives on those fins.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom