OMS sidemount system

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garth

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey I am trying to get some information on the sidemount system that oms has for sale.

Has anyone been diving with one or has seen one in use by another diver? I have posted on the deco stop so far no response yet. I already have the wing and SS bp but i'm beginning to think that i might not need a wing depending on what type of diving I do.

any and all information is greatly appreciated...

thank you in advance and for those of you who haven't seen it here is information.
OMS Technical Dive Harness Backplate Systems http://www.OMSdive.com

Hey I am trying to get some information on the sidemount system that oms has for sale. Has anyone been diving with one or has seen one in use by another diver? ... I already have the wing and SS bp but i'm beginning to think that i might not need a wing depending on what type of diving I do.
I have not dove one, but spent a lot of time at DEMA discussing it at the OMS booth, and will be diving one in two weeks. What I really like about the OMS SM rig is that the bungees are attached on the diver side of the harness, as opposed to the back side (the usual approach) in which case they come across the wing and potentially constrict it, when clipped in front. If I didn't already have a DR Nomad rig I might seriously consider the OMS for sidemount.

I confess I am a little confused by the wording of your question, though and would appreciate a little more information. It sounds like you are diving (? single tank) with a BP/W, but I don't get the impression you are diving backmount doubles. Are you thinking of a SM rig for one, or two, tanks? The rig itself is a separate entity from the BP/W configuration, so the comment about not needing a wing is what confused me. That may be the case (and several really slick SM videos show divers - Steve Bogaerts for example - using two AL80 SM tanks without a wing; http://gosidemount.com/videos.asp). You may want to use a wing, but not use the SS BP with the SM rig. So, what are you thinking? SM for two independent tanks? SM for a single tank? If yopu are mopving to doubles, of course, there is the usual learning / training curve. But, I think SM is a great alternative to 'traditional' BM tanks.

There are several sidemount systems available out there.

Given the well-known lack of customer service at OMS, I recommend that you steer clear of that company and look elsewhere.

Did you look here?

I agree w/ Doc Harry. Customer service aside, the OMS system is a "me too" product. There are much better sidemount systems out there to choose from.

at this time I dive single steel 120's but am curious about sidemount diving. I will want to dive doubles at some point but was wondering if I could learn to dive sidemount first. I am not sure if my local dive shop has a SM class but will check with them. I would like to dive with both of my steel tanks and would most likely need a wing to do so (although I have a drysuit and definitely need weight to descend).

Ive been watching the videos that you have suggested and it only makes me want to try sidemount more. Diverite has configuration videos and training stuff but I don't think that would suffice in place of a SM class.

I didn't make out the sidemount from OMS having the bungee on the front. It looks to me like there is an attach point in the back and comes in to attach to the tank and then to a front D ring. This is just what it looks like to me and I was not at DEMA unfortuneately. Thank you very much for your responses, im eager to try this.

at this time I dive single steel 120's but am curious about sidemount diving. I will want to dive doubles at some point but was wondering if I could learn to dive sidemount first.
Absolutely. In fact, SM can be a very practical way for divers to transition from singles to doubles. I hesitate to say it will be less expensive, although you don't need tank bands and a manifold.
I am not sure if my local dive shop has a SM class but will check with them.
I would imagine that there would be 1 or 2 shops in the Charlotte area that already offer, or will soon offer, SM classes. battles2A5 has posted a response to your original question, and you may want to PM him for a better sense of what is available in the Charlotte area. If not, we are discussing the idea of offering a SM course in the Raleigh area in late March - early April, when it has warmed up a little. Seems from your profile that you may be a PDRA member, and we would probably offer the course at the JMR Quarry - for PDRA members of course.
Ive been watching the videos that you have suggested and it only makes me want to try sidemount more. ... Thank you very much for your responses, im eager to try this.
It is almost a disease :D! You start thinking about it, and visiting websites, and quickly become immersed - figuratively and literally. Watching Bogaerts float through the water is amazing. I went with the DR Nomad rig to start with, but am intrigued by the Razor, and by the OMS rig, etc. Some much gear, so little money. I understand the comments that Doc Harry and battles2A5 made about OMS. Their stock in trade is really to copy (and, perhaps, 'improve' in their view) gear already brought out by other companies, and they are very much a 'me too' company from that perspective. And, some have had problems with their responsiveness. I haven't, but maybe I have just been lucky. Having said that, I wouldn't discount simply because they are not at the cutting edge.

Watching Bogaerts float through the water is amazing. I went with the DR Nomad rig to start with, but am intrigued by the Razor...

I just sold my Nomad and will be purchasing a Razor as my go-to travel gear. Perfect for light traveling and warm water cave diving (Bahamas, MX, DR, etc.)

Garth- it might make sense to check out some used gear to start. You can pick up a used Nomad for $350-400 on cavediver.net pretty much any day of the week. If you go to PDRA I would be happy to help you set it up and get your regs configured.

We have a side mount forum here....

Side Mount Divers - ScubaBoard

Independent of the "me too" comment, I have seen the OMS side mount option on a number of divers/videos. I have ordered one but have not received it yet.

Regards Dwayne

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom