OMS or PST to Double?????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill Walton

Contributor
Reaction score
I am getting ready to put together my first set of doubles. I am currently undecisive as to wether to use OMS or PST cylinders. I have several OMS and one PST and like them all. The OMS do chip where they touch the round bolt heads through my backplate. I dive with a halcyon pioneer setup for singles. Anyway, I just would like to hear some feedback on the specific question/preference of PST v. OMS for doubles use.

Oh, already decided on 104/112, now just considering the manufac.

Thank ya'll

Bill

Are you diving dry? If not you should really consider using Al80s to keep your rig as balanced as possible.

Munin once bubbled...
Are you diving dry? If not you should really consider using Al80s to keep your rig as balanced as possible.
Can you elaborate further on how diving aluminum tanks with a wetsuit will assist with trim - I assume this is what you are referring to when you say balance. I dived double steel tanks on the weekend with a 7mm wetsuit, and even with only 5lb on my belt, was still butt-heavy, because the wetsuit lost all buoyancy below 60', and my legs became dead weight. With aluminum tanks, more weight would be required to counter the positive buoyancy characteristics, increasing this trim problem.

I think this makes perfect sense if the individual is a man with 7% bodyfat and negatively boyant to begin with. I on the other hand, am not. With a 7mm wetsuit I have to wear 15lbs with my OMS 112. So, double that and ad in the extra weight of the crossover and a stage bottle, and I would be APROX!!!!! nuetral with full bottles and no additional lead. But, when empty, to compensate for later in the dive, I will still need additional weight. IN the case of an emergency, I would be able to swim it up. Worse case, ditch and swim.

That being said, I will be diving dry soon.

I had considered all of this in determining which bottles to double. The material (steel) is set, I only wanted to hear ya'll opinions on the differences between the OMS and PST.

I do see, now, that most of my questions are somewhat addressed in the corrosion post.

Thank ya'll for the input.

Back
Top Bottom