OMS Headlamp Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

handben

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A few months ago I posed a query about suggestions for a hands-free light setup. I must say it was a bit like asking for directions and getting a reply "Why would you ever want to go there". I pretty much had my mind set on getting a hands-free light and wanted folks suggestions. There wasn't much feedback in that regard, so I decided to add my review after purchasing 2 of the OMS units. OMS 3watt LED Headlamp

I bought one for each of my kids knowing that I'd only be diving with one at a time at night or on a wreck. I just got back from a week in Bonaire and did 2 night dives and a wreck dive with the OMS headlight. My first experience with the light was with my son who is 12 and was on his first night dive at the Belmar house reef. I was immediately happy to be able to make adjustments to his fins requiring both hands to be free as well as full use of both hands. I'm not sure how I would've done that with a more typical light (handheld or goodman). After getting situated in the water, I was happy to be able to have my right hand free to hold my son's hand during the dive. This also left my left hand free to handle my gauges as well as BCD while still holding on to my son. Again, not sure I'd be able to do that with a standard light. The dive went very well and I had no problems with the light. After the dive it was also much easier to take down the gear with the headlight as I was able to illuminate the gear and have both hands fee.

I also dove with my daughter who has more experience than her younger brother. She did complain that she was unable to look me in the eyes and communicate through facial expressions as we would otherwise when we dive. I suspect that this will be somewhat diminished during any night dive as one can't see facial and eye expressions well without shining the light in the face which is a no no.

I also was able to pop my head through some fairly small holes in the Hilma Hooker and look around in ways that I couldn't have with a hand held light.

Another downside of the light is that it can slip off of the forehead if you're not careful. This did happen once to me without the light being turned on. It did take a minute to find the light. I also didn't like the unusual battery type for this light. I ended up ordering a dozen of these batteries from amazon for fairly cheap (around $20). However, it is definitely a non standard battery. I'd rather have an AA or AAA.

In terms of the blinding effect of the "bright lights in the fog"; I didn't really experience this as a problem. There was a fair amount of particulate material on the night dives. But I didn't find that it interfered significantly with my night vision.

In short, I was very happy with the headlight solution. I will use this in the future for night dives and wreck dives (perhaps cavern and cave dives as well). I will use a handheld as a back-up light. For day dives and looking under crevasses and such, I wouldn't bother with using a headlamp as I find it a bit too awkward for a quick on and off. I'll use a handheld from my BC pocket for this use. I hope this helps my fellow divers. Cheers and good dives. Ben

My OMS headlight flooded on the first dive, OMS service was crap and I will not purchase OMS gear again.

I like the idea of hand free operation + light where you look. I spoke to Edd at Cave Advanturer, he suggested UK mini q40 LED, strap on the side of the mask. He said he uses two of this, one of each side of his mask for cave sureying. So this is another choice if OMS has issues.

Back
Top Bottom