OMS, DiveRite, Reef Scuba, Manta Ray, or AuquaExplorer reels...+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa M

Registered
Reaction score
Hi-

I am really struggleing on a reel question and would really apreciate some help.

I am looking for a multi-purpose reel for wreck diving, towing buoys and shooting up-lines with my safety buoy (for deco and safety stops).

I need atleast 130-150 ft and would like at least a #36 line. Stainless steel is preferable but not necessarilly critical (I know only the OMS and Dive Rites are stainless). I'd also like to keep the size down to something that is not much bigger than DiveRite's Safety Reel (blue...unfortunately this reel only goes to 90' with #36 line).

What reels would you recommend...please help.

Thank you very much.
Lisa

It works well and has a pretty small form factor for the amount of line it carries (I think around 400').

If you want small size, and lots of line, you might want to look into a spool. Halcyon makes a spool that is small in size, and has up to 150' of line on it, however it is #24 line. Plus, a lot of people do not like spools. I personally prefer them.

Is their a reason that you do not want to use #24 line? You can get the DR reel with 140' of #24 on it. I have found that number #24 is plenty strong for my needs.

Thanks guys for your replies!

James, you ask why not #24...the reason is primarily strength and abrasion "protection" for crawling through wrecks.

I like the idea of something a little stronger than #24 when towing buoys in currents.

I carry a spool as a backup and am familiar with the concern of using a reel for a buoy upline (jamming)...and under certain circumstances would use it instead of my reel, but generally I just find the reel more convenient.

Are any of you familair with the Manta reel and how it might comapare to the Reef Scuba, Dive Rite or even the one put out by Scuba Connection (or any other type)?

Thanks so much!!
Lisa

That's understandable.

I wish I could help you on the Reef Scuba or the Manta Reel, but I have no experience with those. I only use Halcyon and Dive Rite spools and reels. Sorry.

Good Luck.

Thank you James!

My only problem withthe Dive Rite reel relates to the amount of #36 line I can put on their safety reel (90 ft.). Their primary reel (red one) is just a little larger than I generally need.

Regarding the Halycyon, I have heard great things. I only wonder about it for cold water diving with gloved hands...I could be wrong though (I have never actually tried it).

Thank you for your help!!
Lisa:wink:

Hi Lisa

I have the enclosed 4" Golden Reel from Reef Scuba. To me it's a good all around reel for doing everything you want. I mostly use mine as a penetration reel. Service at Reef Scuba is great and the reel is pretty bullet proof, although it may be a little bigger then what you are looking for.

Good luck in your search.

Ty

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom