Oman Aggressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diving Dubai

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So. The first of the big name fleets is coming to Oman.

If your thinking of coming, this is what they haven't told you in the sales info

Summer temps - their average states 33C or. 91F. Yeah right. June through Sept expect daily highs at 40C+ and night times 30C+. Also humidity above 60% making it feel even hotter. You'll still need a thin wetsuit as the sea temps can vary, so learn to kit up fast

Vis can be variable too. You can indeed get nice blue clear seas, but as the water temp comes down you get green plankton blooms as well.

Personally April till mid June, then Mid sept to mid Nov are my favourite times.

There is always the chance of whale sharks especially in the summer.

$3200 for a 7 night package seems a bit steep though, especially as most of the site are reachable by day boats too.

Good luck to them though, it'll be interesting to see how they do, fortunately I can dive all these sites for a fraction of the price :)

Are you familiar with the Extra Divers boat - the MV Saman - that goes to the Halaniyat Islands? I've heard good things about it and am wondering about an April trip there. Since it's a long way for me, and the liveaboard is only a week - can you also recommend other nearby places to go? Thanks!

I've heard about it, and was thinking about booking a trip, but no decision yet. The diving sounds as though it has possibilities, but no-one I know has been there.

For Oman, there are the Daymaniyat islands just off Muscat which are great. Again Jan - April and Oct onwards the sea can be very green with plankton. I don't think you'll enjoy the summer temps. 120F isn't rare during the day, indeed even the night time low is above 100F

That said really good diving - life wise. I enjoyed my trips there I've had green murk and clear blue vis.

If you look at Google maps and see Dubai and the UAE, look North and you'll see a border. North of that border is also Oman, on the East coast is where we dive a lot, right to the tip. We board and Arabian Dhow at Dibba. It's not luxury, again the vis can be changeable, and avoid new moons and spring tides. Currents can be awesome (very strong) during those times. and if you get blown off the site, your next stop is Iran.

It's very off the beaten track diving. IF you were going to be coming over, then I'd arrange you a place to dive on our dhows with our club. The Club has been diving the area for over 10 years so have a good feel for the area, normal dhows don't go where we are allowed to go because they always have some less experienced divers.

It can be excellent diving here, in fact I get disappointed in some other locations because I'm spoiled here. But if you're looking for guaranteed vis then this area may not be the best

So. The first of the big name fleets is coming to Oman.

If your thinking of coming, this is what they haven't told you in the sales info

Summer temps - their average states 33C or. 91F. Yeah right. June through Sept expect daily highs at 40C+ and night times 30C+. Also humidity above 60% making it feel even hotter. You'll still need a thin wetsuit as the sea temps can vary, so learn to kit up fast

Vis can be variable too. You can indeed get nice blue clear seas, but as the water temp comes down you get green plankton blooms as well.

Personally April till mid June, then Mid sept to mid Nov are my favourite times.

There is always the chance of whale sharks especially in the summer.

$3200 for a 7 night package seems a bit steep though, especially as most of the site are reachable by day boats too.

Good luck to them though, it'll be interesting to see how they do, fortunately I can dive all these sites for a fraction of the price :)
Muscat has an earlier hot season than Dubai. Starts Late April. You can eat outside again early October.

So I have heard really good things from 2 people about the Saman liveaboard diving - we were on the sister boat in Halmahera, Indonesia, where the diving was pretty spectacular, and were told by one guest and the cruise director that Oman has tons of schools of big fish. Mostly about the huge numbers of fish, plus really large other things (rays, etc.) I saw a couple hundred pictures and it was pretty impressive. The guest said the diving was better than Halmahera, which, as I said, was great. I'm probably not great at really off-the-beaten path diving - do like a little creature comforts (ensuite bathroom, AC) but it sounds intriguing.

Oman Diver - can you recommend another week of diving if I do a week on the Saman out of Mirbat??

Thanks, all!

Some nice diving out of Mirbat but Orca Dive Centre was unsafe; I quit diving half way through my holiday.

GJS

So I have heard really good things from 2 people about the Saman liveaboard diving - we were on the sister boat in Halmahera, Indonesia, where the diving was pretty spectacular, and were told by one guest and the cruise director that Oman has tons of schools of big fish. Mostly about the huge numbers of fish, plus really large other things (rays, etc.) I saw a couple hundred pictures and it was pretty impressive. The guest said the diving was better than Halmahera, which, as I said, was great. I'm probably not great at really off-the-beaten path diving - do like a little creature comforts (ensuite bathroom, AC) but it sounds intriguing.

Oman Diver - can you recommend another week of diving if I do a week on the Saman out of Mirbat??

Thanks, all![/QUOTE

I have never dived a liveaboard in Oman but Saman is run by Extra Divers (German I think)who In my experience is the best dive outfit in the country and I have quite some experience of the different operators some of whom are not great. Expect to use DIN valves so may be worth taking an adapter if you bring your own international first stage. Sea live is good but know that visibility is variable because of the density of plankton upwelling from the Indian Ocean which gives rise to the profusion on marine life.

Divenski, my reply seems to have got attached to the bottom of your post, you will need to click on expand above.

Thanks for the info so far. I'm still trying to figure out if early April would be a good time to go on the Saman - that's when the guy I met on Extra Divers other liveaboard - the Liburan in Halmahera, Indonesia - went and he really liked it. The Cruise Director on that trip recommended January, but water is relatively cold and it won't work for 2017. If I do a week on Saman out of Mirbat is it worth it to also go to the Daymaniyat islands, and if so is there a recommended dive op? Any liveaboards before the Aggressor (yes, expensive!) gets there or is it just day trips?

Oh, finally figure out how you can dive Oman by going north from Dubai - I was very confused! Diving Dubai, saw your other post about Musandam and it all clicked. Thanks! Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom