Olympus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lisa, thanks for all the tips. We were able to test the camera in a pool last night, and I'm pretty happy with what I've seen so far. If I get lucky enough to take some shots worth keeping, i'll post them here in a few weeks.
Thanks,
Dan

Thanks for the info about the class. They didn't have anything else coming up in Hawaii, but I put in a request.

Ali

Lisa had a good tip about taping your address somewhere inside the housing. It made me remember another tip that's really not for your camera, more for your dive trip.

If you have a 5050...Make two photos, making sure all these things are included between the two... your name and home address, C-card, passport, medical insurance card, drivers license, return airline ticket and anything pertinent to your identification. Also include your hotel and the phone number. Now you have 2 photos with any info needed to find and or contact you either at home or on this trip. Assign one photo for the opening and one for the closing of the 5050. These photos will stay in the cameras computer instead of your memory card so this info will be available every time the camera is turned on and off.

If you don't have a 5050, you can take these same photos and if your camera allows it, lock them on your memory card so they cannot be erased. Before I got the 4040, I added these two photos to every one of my memory cards and locked them. Whatever you need to do to make this photos, and the resulting info, accessable in case of emergency.

That's a great tip, Dee. Thanks.

As for the shutter lag, you can reduce it by depressing the shutter lever halfway so that the camera locks focus and exposure, then depress further when you want to take the shot. Getting it halfway takes practice though, which you should practice topside rather underwater.

AliKat:
Thanks for the info about the class. They didn't have anything else coming up in Hawaii, but I put in a request.

Ali
Olympus just did the class here, I can't remember if it was in September or October. They held it at the Ala Moana Hotel. If they do it again, let me know. I'd go again.

Lisa

I took the class today (well, now it is yesterday) in Los Angeles. It was totally worth the $99. I learned a lot about the different camera functions and modes and am no longer as intimidated as I first was when I got this camera (my first digital). I now feel I can get the manual and some of the other training material out and actually use some of the information to improve my photos!

I found myself wondering how they could have taught this in a half day when you took the class, we used every bit of the time and then some...

They gave lots of tips, not only on the use of the camera, but basic photography reminders on composition, exposure, lighting, etc. And I really appreciated the information on post-production, such as printer and paper differences, storage and retrieval, and image manipulation.

Thanks again for posting when you did, or I might have missed this opportunity :)

cheers,

sapphire:
Thanks again for posting when you did, or I might have missed this opportunity :)

I wanted to go to the class so bad that I took a day off of work to go there.....So I am happy to hear that the class was worth it to you too!

Lisa

PS: Now we just have to wait for an advanced olympus class, like "Using strobes with your C5050" or an "UW photo processing class from Adobe"...would anyone like to make the suggestion to them???

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom