Olympus TG-5 Lenses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nice pictures! I take it you have to make a choice on whether you are going to go macro or wide before the dive, or can you switch during the dive?

You can switch, but I haven't figured out a good way to do it without risking the lens to scratching or drops. It is easy enough to unscrew it from the housing, but I don't have a pouch or bag that I can put it in so thus far I have either gone with the wide angle or without for the duration of the dive. I posted a thread a few days ago asking for recommendations for doing just that. I would like to be able to quickly go from macro to wide angle on the same dive.

You need to have a 52mm mount (for the Oly Housing) that works with the native 24mm camera lens. Many older lenses only work with 28mm lenses. The Kraken KRL-02 is a great lens and is wider that the Backscatter model.

I have the Kraken KRL-02 and I am very pleased with it.

We just did our first dives with the TG-5 and KRL-02 and we did a couple dives with just the housing (macro/closer shots) and then did some with the Kraken. It almost seemed like the Kraken took more crisp pictures than just the TG-5.

If I recall correctly, the KRL-02 does not provided great "zoom through" capability. Ours handled a little bit of zoom, but you can't use the full zoom of the TG-5 with it.

I found a little mesh bag intended for toiletries that was perfect for the Backscatter wide angle lens and a double-ender. Easy to swap, but in my stupidity I scratched the glass while swapping, I was using a goodman handle on my light at the same time. Lesson learnt and off for repair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom