Olympus TG-2 vs E-PM1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dragon_Rckr_PR

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Torn between these cameras... I was settled on the TG-2 for it's UW settings and other add-ons such as the fish eye lens and UW housing to expand it's depth.

But came across the E-PM1 UW setting offer and now can't decide between the two.

When it comes down to cost, the TG-2 comes out to $663 for the camera ($354) and UW housing ($309) and the E-PM1 package is for $599 which is slightly cheaper. One thing I like about the TG-2 is that it can be used without the housing and still be waterproof for when I go to the beach with the dogs.

I've read that the E-PM1 has interchangeable lenses, which is good plus and gives a lot of upgrade options. Is it completely necessary to have a strobe on the E-PM1 setup in waters with 30-50' visibility or would the flash diffuser on the housing be enough?

I already have the GoPro Hero3 Black, but the pics are underwhelming and are a hit/miss. Have taken some good pics without strobes and the lighting in pictures is pretty good, although I have to use 5/1sec burst shot and choose the best out of 5 and that takes a lot time when you're trigger happy. I'll keep it for video footage, since this its the strong point and might capture something I might miss with the pics.

I'd like opinions on both, pros and cons, etc.

Back
Top Bottom