Olympus OMD EM5 VS. Sony RX100 Macro Shootout!!! You Judge.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mjh

Contributor
Reaction score
​Big title for a couple of comparison shots. But thought I would try to compare the Olympus OMD EM5 with the Olympus f2.8, 60mm Macro lens against the Sony RX100 with the Subsee +10 diopter. The photos have not been sharpened only some minor corrections using Curves in Photoshop for exposure. Both were in Nauticam housing, mounted on on I-Torch Tray, using the same Sea & Sea YS-D1 strobes and I-Torch V24 Fishlite (2400 Lumen) Focus light.

In General:
1. Of course the OMD EM5 & 60mm gives you greater working distance.
2. Can add diopters to the OMD EM5 and Oly 60mm for Super Macro.
3. OMD can shoot at f22.
4. RX100 & Subsee +10 working distance will not work for shy subjects
5. You can go above +10 with the RX100 but you will be close to touching the subject.
6. Auto Focus with the OMD & 60mm worked ok with about 25% of the shots out of focus.
7. Auto Focus with the RX100 was not quite as good with about 30-35% of the shots out of focus when really trying to fill he frame to the max. But you don't HAVE to shoot in Manual Focus as some have posted.

Settings for both cameras
ISO 200, f11, 1/200. Both cameras on Auto Focus, Center Spot

As Close as cameras would Focus
RX100 Subsee +10

OMD & Oly 60mm Macro

Standard Macro Shooting Distance
RX100

Oly OMD EM5

As Close as the camera would Focus
RX100

OMD EM5

That is actually about what I thought the difference would be. Thanks for doing the comparison. With the large sensor and great IQ, I don't mind cropping a little bit which I generally try to completely avoid. I haven't got to shoot my Rx100 with a +10 yet, so I can't say for sure about how it will focus from experience, but I can say with two Inon UCL-165M67 it didn't focus consistently. Moving my focus light closer to the subject helps, and a brighter focus light I think will help too so I may get a Sola Photo 800 before my next trip along with a +10.

The above is true assuming I don't sell my Rx100/Nauticam system (after just one trip with it haha!) and house my Nikon DSLR & 105 micro first....the trip is to Lembeh Strait and Bali, which is macro heaven.

My pleasure, going to do one on the other end of the spectrum; OMD & Lumix 8mm vs. RX100 & Inon H100/dome. But it has been pea soup up here, damn sun!

Reality is you are not going to do Super macro with the RX100. But unless you are doing massive enlargements or entering contests I don't get peoples issue with cropping. You know what you wanted to capture, so what if your camera could not get in close enough? In the next step of the creative process you achieve the image you had in your mind.

Personally I try to avoid having to crop because I want to get my images as right as I can possibly get them in the camera. The closer you can get to what you want in the camera leaves a lot less post processing and probably a better overall image in my opinion. This is what I was taught, and for me it makes sense.

The reality is that of course I crop some of my images, but I think keeping the above as the goal, so to speak, will improve my photos and reduce how much I need to do in Lightroom.

From these pics, there doesnt seem to be much of a difference in IQ. Did you notice a difference in performance i.e. focus speed and accuracy, inboard flash recycle time?

James I agree the goal is always the best image possible out of the camera. But if you know the limitations of your gear you can think a step ahead and compose the shot with an plan for what you will do in post. For some the saved cost, smaller size and flexibility underwater of a compact might be worth a little work in post.

I now have taken thousands of images with these two cameras in all kinds of conditions. For medium to wide angle, in decent light, both seem to focus about the same. For macro the Oly and 60mm provides about 10-15% more "in focus" shots, especially when you are pushing the limit of the minimum focal distance. The recycle of the flash on the Sony is a little slower. I am accustomed to electrical sync cords and it took me a little while to get used to this. I do feel you have to plan that first shot in a series a little more.

I like to shoot wide and enjoy doing sun balls and over/unders. One down side to the OMD is the max shutter sync of 1/250. With the RX it is basically unlimited. As I have said before for many but the most demanding or not limited by budget the RX100/RX100II are pretty amazing little cameras. Frankly I will probably sell the OMD for a full frame NEX before I part with the RX100.

The photos in this gallery are probably evenly split between the RX100 and OMD. I can't tell what ones were taken with what camera.
http://www.aquabluedreams.com/staticpages/pid/G/89

Good point about planning your shot for what you have and can do with it. Well said.

I am "on the fence" about going to DSLR...I already have a Nikon DSLR body and 105 2.8 AF-S micro, but for a few times a year use it's a lot to have tied up in a camera housing/port/etc.

Good job that tells a story that is already known a camera with a fixed lens and diopter can't compete with interchangeable lenses when it comes to macro full stop.

It is also true however that if you compare the RX100 with other compacts on the Canon S/G series provide larger subject at close range especially the G series.

This is due not only to size of the capture area but the amount of zoom available.

The RX100 with a +10 diopter does about real life size in 35mm terms, my old canon S95 would do that with a +6 and a working distance of 165mm in water that is comfortable for most critters

The versatility of the RX100 can't be beaten and with the new RX100M2 Nauticam housing with the electric sync cord option the flash recycle time is not an issue though shutter speed will be.

In general at macro distance the recycle time does not bother anyone anyway is at wide angle that it takes forever to re-charge, this of course compared to other compact with optical connections not to a wired cord DSLR

Quality wise the OM-D does not wow me looking at those shots even if you have to crop the RX100
In general at macro distance the recycle time does not bother anyone anyway is at wide angle that it takes forever to re-charge, this of course compared to other compact with optical connections not to a wired cord DSLR

I use the OMD for my underwater photography and use the rx100 for a walk aroung camera. But after reading mjh's threads, I'm really tempted to use the rx100 for underwater photography. The idea of simplifying my kit and using something more compact is appealing. By the way I crop my photos all the time even when I used to use DSLR. Maybe thats why I never win any photo contests :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom