Olympus FE-360 & Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lowery399

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have any experience using the Olympus FE-360 and its underwater housing? I'm trying to find a replacement for my Sealife that isn't working anymore and this looked like a decent entry level camera setup. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any experience using the Olympus FE-360 and its underwater housing? I'm trying to find a replacement for my Sealife that isn't working anymore and this looked like a decent entry level camera setup. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I've got the predecessor, the FE-230 and FE-280 with housing. Works great above and below water. Nice little point and shoot camera. The camera's got 2 or 3 underwater settings. You'll likely end up playing around with them and settling on one particular setting which works best for you initially.

Can't beat the price and you can get a wide angle lens (I added a used one to my kit recently), external strobe, etc. if you choose.

If you're looking for something that shoots video... meh, the Olympus point-and-shoots aren't high or even great resolution. Ok... still pictures are their forte.

If you're interested in mixing stills and video, I'd go with the Sony W290 and their factory housing. Or better yet the Ikelite housing for the Sony W290. The Sony housing is decent, goes to 130' but the Ikelite housing goes a little deeper and is better quality I think. The Sony W290 is 12 MP still camera which is way more than most people need but it does 720p HD video.

Of course you're going to pay more for the Sony W290 setup than Olympus setup. From what I can see, the Olympus setup can be purchased new for under $300 ($130 for camera, $150 for housing). The Sony setup runs about the same $280 or so if you get the factory Sony housing, however, the Ikelite housing alone is about $250, add the Sony W290 for $180 and you're at $430.

Does it compare with a Gates housing and Nikon? Nope... then again I spent about 1/10th of the money and I'm not all that worried if something happens to it. (and yes, I've flooded it -- bought replacement FE-280 for $45 on eBay).

Back
Top Bottom