Olympus E PL 2 and the PT-EP03 Underwater Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
Has anyone out there purchased and used this combo? I am looking at switching from my nikonos and this seems like a decent outfit for a reasonable price. Anyone who can be helpful please comment. Thanx Tom

I haven't personally used it, but I have a close friend (unfortunately he fears forums) who has that rig and absolutely loves it. The pics he's shared with me have made me consider it as well. Sorry I couldn't be more help from personal experience.

Thanks for the reply! I am concerned that the housing is only rated to 130' as I dive to between 90' and 120' on a regular basis ( sometimes deeper) and I don't want to push the limits of the housing

Tom, There is a ton of info and reviews from divers using this combo and the earlier e-pl1 in the Olympus forum here.
As an early adopter, I have been very impressed with the camera and housing. I can't comment on your concern about the depth rating, it is what it is. My guess is that there is some level beyond 130' where the housing will be safe, but it is adding risk.

Re the depth rating..... there is credible speculation (read it in multiple places) that the 130' depth rating many housings carry is at least somewhat about manufacturers NOT wanting to encourage diving beyond recreational limits. Also... the springs on the buttons may not be strong enough to keep the buttons "unpushed" much deeper than that. Housings that are rated for greater depth tend to have pretty stiff return springs on the buttons. All that said, I've had my PL2 to the sand at the Spiegel Grove's props which is about !45' -- not a drop of water and the buttons were OK... they did not push themselves. I doubt I would want to take it much deeper..... My tech diving is more about extended time rather than extreme depth.

Curiously, a friend that owns a jewelry store and I put a different (much smaller) housing also rated for 130' in a pressure chamber he uses for watches and we took it to a bit over 300' before it leaked. Obviously, we could not test the buttons, so they may have been useless long before 300'. The PL2 housing won't fit... so don't ask.... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom