Olympus E-P1; What do you think?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FrankPro1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Browsing over the Oly site today and I found the E-P1. They say its not a P&S or an DSLR, its more of a hybrid of the two. Here are some specs that stood out to me: RAW shooting, 12mp, 1280(H)x720(V) video "didn't say fps", 3 frames/sec. in sequential shooting "RAW mode: Max. 10 frames", Mini HDMI output, full array of manual controls and a nice retro look.
Check it out: E-P1 Specs
With an 800 dollar price tag, I wonder why anyone wouldn't just move up to a mid range SLR instead of this. But its specs are pretty nice. Any thoughts or opinions?

Browsing over the Oly site today and I found the E-P1. They say its not a P&S or an DSLR, its more of a hybrid of the two. Here are some specs that stood out to me: RAW shooting, 12mp, 1280(H)x720(V) video "didn't say fps", 3 frames/sec. in sequential shooting "RAW mode: Max. 10 frames", Mini HDMI output, full array of manual controls and a nice retro look.
Check it out: E-P1 Specs
With an 800 dollar price tag, I wonder why anyone wouldn't just move up to a mid range SLR instead of this. But its specs are pretty nice. Any thoughts or opinions?

Why, because some of us hate huge, mirror slapping beasts and would just like a full size sensor in a small range finder body with interchangeable lenses. SLRs, been there and done that, no thanks. N

Why, because some of us hate huge, mirror slapping beasts and would just like a full size sensor in a small range finder body with interchangeable lenses. SLRs, been there and done that, no thanks. N

I see your point. But what do think of the E-P1? Its a interesting concept and looks to have the right specs. After further search, Olympus has stated they will not be offering a housing for the E-P1:shakehead: I guess its up to third parties to make this happen.

I have to start out by saying kudos to Olympus! Looks like an great first attempt at a camera like this (large sized sensor in a small rangefinder body) and I would definitely conisder one over an SLR mostly becuase of the size of it. But as with anything, when you make it smaller there are prices to pay and compromises to be made.

IMHO it's main drawbacks are: 1) the limited avialability of lenses for it, 2) the lack of a flash, and 3) it's slow autofocus (according to the the dpr preview).

#1 is not really related to the size of the camera, just that it is a new format and will eventually get better as Panny & Oly (and probably others) come out with more lenses in the micro 4/3 format. Also I thouht it was a clever move by Oly release this camera with an optional adapter to use existing 4/3 lenses to keep buyers tied over until a greater selection of micro 4/3 lenses are available.

#2 means that the housings will have to have a bulkhead and will only be able to use wired strobes (unless somebody comes up with a cool, compact, hotshoe mounted, optical strobe trigger).

#3 is a bit more of a problem, but from what I was reading, it's not that far off from where most compacts are now. Maybe it'll get fixed down the road.

All in all, I think it's an awesome step and agree with the DPR review, that for a first of it's kind Oly did a lot things right with it. After all, if they'd made it too perfect, nobody would buy the E-P2. If I had an extra $800 laying around I'd get one, if nothing else to support the concept and get the other players (Canon, Nikon, etc.) into this area as well.

I am interested in seeing what housings come out for it and how they deal with the spinning dial in the back. I'm sure Ike will, but I guess for some of the other players to come out with one, it will depend on sales of the camera and demand for housings, but I wouldn't be surprised to see an offering from 10bar following the attention they've gained following their offering for the Panny LX3.

I am interested in seeing what housings come out for it and how they deal with the spinning dial in the back.

The Canon G10 has the spinning dial on the back as well. The Ikelite housing I use for it incorporates a large control with an rubber wheel on the end which rubs on the dial. Works fine and very easy to use.

Nice points about its pro's and con's. I also think its a great first step towards a middle ground between DSLR and P&S's. Some of the upper P&S's such as the G10 and Lumix LX3 have came close to bridging the gap, but without a large sensor and faster shots per seconds they've fallen short. No built in viewfinder and flash on the EP-1 is perplexing. I can't see why they chose not to include them.

The Canon G10 has the spinning dial on the back as well. The Ikelite housing I use for it incorporates a large control with an rubber wheel on the end which rubs on the dial. Works fine and very easy to use.

Nice points about its pro's and con's. I also think its a great first step towards a middle ground between DSLR and P&S's. Some of the upper P&S's such as the G10 and Lumix LX3 have came close to bridging the gap, but without a large sensor and faster shots per seconds they've fallen short. No built in viewfinder and flash on the EP-1 is perplexing. I can't see why they chose not to include them.

Lack of a view finder is perplexing and I imagine the next version will have one but for the purposes of u/w it is not needed. No Oly housing, no matter, I would not buy theirs anyways, hopefully there will be a better quality Ikelite or FIX etc or S&S.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom