Olympus E-M5 II inside the housing... I can zoom!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

npole

Contributor
Reaction score
I own a EM5 II coupled with a M.Zuiko 2.8 Pro in a Meikon housing... as others with a similar setup know already, you have the big limitation of not being able to use the zoom while in the housing, so you're forced to decide in advance if you gonna take picture/videos in wide angle or zoomed... I was hoping for the Meikon to produce a case with a couple gear to use the zoom so much!

Until I discovered the obvious: you can actually use one of the M.Zuiko lens with the Electronic Zoom, normally you control the zoom with the same gear you would use for a mechanical zoom... but I wasn't aware that you can assign the zoom-in/out to a camera button as well! So you can use it with the arrow buttons.

For many here it was a well know thing... but I just discovered it now, and finally I can do wide/macro in a single dive, forgetting of the biggest limitation of my setup.

I'm posting here because there might be someone else with the same issue and the same "poor awareness" of me. :D

Note: you cannot switch the lens to "macro mode", since you have to physically push the gear, but still a very big advantage.

interesting

You mean the Olympus 12-50mm lens correct?

Yes, the 12-50 EZ (it's also waterproof.. that is a good thing to have).

It opened a whole new world to me. Ii has a limit: you cannot use the electronic zoom via buttons while in video mode, so you cannot zoom while recording (you can do it only by using the gear). For the rest it's great.

Correct, water and dust resistant (it's not a underwater camera).. it can get splashed and you can even wash it under fresh water that is a good thing to have due to the possible humidity inside the housing, it's the equivalent of the Canon "tropicalization". The M5 II is fully "tropicalized" so it makes sense to use a water/dust resistant lens as well.

The premium m.zuiko lens does have this feature, and the 12-50 EZ has it as well, the other EZ (14-42) does not.

I do not recommend to "wash" your M5II ..however if it gets wet by salty water, wash it to avoid the corrosion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom