Olympus E-520 & PT-E05 Housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the quick response.

Now to find someone in OZ that sells the housing!

Attachments

• ebay-e520.JPG
    ebay-e520.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 99
An FYI for everyone.

I contacted Reef Photo about using a previous model E-510 camera in a PT-E05 (the new) housing and which ports are for particular lenses. .

Richard Perry contacted Olympus and here's the response:

I just got off of the phone with our Olympus rep, and the official word is 'no'. Apparently the camera will fit in the housing, but some controls (unspecified) do not work. Also, their position is that using an E-510 in the housing will void the warranty.

Unfortunately each of the lenses you mentioned requires a different port.
14-42 = PPO-E01 (or Athena OPD-SZ14-42)
14-54 = PPO-E02
50 = PPO-E03 (or Athena OPF-TMP50)

Regards,
Richard Perry

Thank you Richard for taking the time to contact Olympus about my question.

Hi,

For the time being, I'm using the 14-42 Oly port also for the 50mm till my Inon MRS port arrives.... works OK, but it's a bit big for getting close enough to the little critters... there's always something you'll touch with the port as such.

I had a chance to use the new Olympus PT-E05 housing for the new Olympus E-520 at Digital Jam in Cozumel over the past two weeks. I maintained the housing while it was used by about fifteen photographers at the event. Most were first time DSLR users and they had little trouble getting started. This housing is a breeze to maintain, the new 0-ring and locking systems worked flawlessly all week. We were also able to use the new Olympus UFL-2 strobe In TTL with the fiber optic cord and got great results. With the 14 to 42 zoom and matching port the system is very well balanced underwater and is only about 2 oz. negative in saltwater.

I had a chance to use the housing with the 50 macro and Athena ring flash half a dive before it was passed off to others at the event. I have attached some results.

Phil Rudin

Attachments

• -8294990.jpg
    -8294990.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 134
  • -8294993.jpg
    -8294993.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 128
  • -8311292.jpg
    -8311292.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 125
  • -8311331.jpg
    -8311331.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 121
  • -8295004.jpg
    -8295004.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 133
Phil
very nice pictures !
Did you have a chance to use the 9-18mm lens ? I am very anxious to know when it is available and maybe see some results already
jan

Hi Jan,

We didn't get the 9 to 18 zoom and I haven't seen a port arrangement for the lens yet.
Looks like the lens will be around $550.00 (less than half the 7 to 14 zoom price) so I am sure a dome arrangement will be coming from someone soon.

Phil Rudin

Hi to all, I have the olympus E-520 with lens 14-42 and just yesterday arrived the underwater housing PT-E05, but it's my first reflex and I have no experience.
I need help.
I have an external flash Inon D-2000 Type II and I have connected it with a fiber optic cable, but It doesn't work correctly with the Olympus E-520.
The flash shot only for the first picture, but if I try again to shot a picture, the external flash doesn't work.
Probably I don't set correctly the internal flash.
How I have to set the internal flash and my Inon D-2000 ?
Excuse me for my horrible English, but I'm Italian and English is not my home language.
Thank you.
Scipio

Scipio,

Set the E-520 in manual and pop up the flash. Set the D-2000 to S-TTL and make sure the magnet in the strobe is removed or up. The strobe should fire in TTL.

Use a shutter speed of 1/ 60th second and F/5.6 to start.

Phil Rudin

Back
Top Bottom