Olympus 7-14 vs 8-25 vs 12-40 Comparisons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

btc000

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello Folks,

I am new to underwater photography. Having only shot with my cellphone before.

I was originally planning on getting the 12-40 as my mid-range, and sometime in the future investing on a 7-14 as a wide angle. But I have come across a good deal on a 8-25, which seems to fit a good varied focal range which seems to work amazing on ground. How does that translate to in the water?

I tried to find comparisons of the above for underwater, but only seem to into some posts mentioning one or two of them, with no example shots. So if anyone has any experience/thoughts on the 3 and how they compare to each other I would appreciate your input. If you have photos even better.

Thanks for your time!

I had both Zuiko 12-40mm (f/2.8), 8-25mm and Pana 7-14mm and used them behind Zen Domeport 170mm (Nauticam housing)...
Pana 7-14mm did not convince me and was sold.
12-40mm and 8-25mm perform brilliant. They are complementary and overlap only partially. If only one lens, I would go for 8-25mm.
For Ultra-WA the Zuiko 8mm fisheye, or better, the Canon 8-15mm f/4 fisheye lens with Metabones adapter...

Wolfgang

I had both Zuiko 12-40mm (f/2.8), 8-25mm and Pana 7-14mm and used them behind Zen Domeport 170mm (Nauticam housing)...
Pana 7-14mm did not convince me and was sold.
12-40mm and 8-25mm perform brilliant. They are complementary and overlap only partially. If only one lens, I would go for 8-25mm.
For Ultra-WA the Zuiko 8mm fisheye, or better, the Canon 8-15mm f/4 fisheye lens with Metabones adapter...

Wolfgang
Thank you for the reply!
What kind of situations do you use the 8-25 vs the 12-40?

8-25mm is a real WA lens for all WA appliations. I find it not a problem that 7mm is missing (IQ at 7mm is not so good, anyhow; for real ultra-WA I take the fisheye (very high IQ)) and the ability to zoom in up to 25mm is very convenient. IQ is brilliant...

12-40mm is predominantly for fish portraits. 12mm is also WA, but not so much. As said the range is partially overlapping, but these are different lenses for different applications...

UW photography is predominantly Ultra-WA and/or macro. I would go for Canon 8-15mm fisheye (and, later, the 8-25mm as second and rectilinear WA lens) and a macro lens (Zuiko 60mm or Pana 45mm (for less brilliant visibility conditions), both macros are excellent performers...

12-40mm is excellent for fish portraits, but this would be my third choice on a list to acquire (>90% of UW photography I do with fisheye or macro)...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom