Oly C5050 help: stopping device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUEdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
First, thanks to everyone for good advice here in the photography thread, as the info I have received here has helped me with all sorts of u/w photo info.

I have a brand new Olympus C5050 w/ Ikelite housing and I love it. What is stumping me is that after I have connected the camera to my computer and have finished transfering files via the USB cable, I can't get the computer to stop the device so that it can be unplugged. Other USB connected devices have been easy to stop, but after following all of the directions in the Olympus reference guide (the detailed one on the cd-rom), still no luck.

To give you the details, I make sure all the file transfers are complete, and all folders and applications that access the files are closed. The file access lights on the back of the C5050 are dark - no activity there. When I tell the Removable Disk to stop, it gives me this message: "Cannot stop the device; try again later" as if it is busy or still working. I finally have to just turn off the camera and unplug it, and I get the warning message that I could be damaging things.

I am using Windows 2000. Any advice, or any old threads that provide a solution (couldn't find any through my search).

Thanks in advance for the help.

Questions:

- What service pack are you running?
- Are you using Windows Explorer to copy the files?

I only have a C-4040 so I'm not familiar with that particular problem. However I do have an ides....why not use a card reader to transfer your files? For me, it is alot slower to d/l files via the camera as well as using camera battery power. The card reader is recognized an another drive and acts like one. I do have to tell it when I'm through.

I have no problems with my 5050 using Win XP with or without the Service packs. Since you are using W2k, I would highly recommend that you have the latest Service Pack found on microsoft.com. Win XP is a lot more forgiving then W2k was, and with the latest service pack, I would think that it would resolve your problem.

What do ya'll mean by 'service pack'?

Dee: A Service Pack is basically a bunch of patches that are made to the operating system. These patches are used to correct found "bugs" in the OS or to improve the preformance of the OS. You can find out what Service Pack is installed by Right Clicking on the My Computer icon, and selecting properties. It is listed under System:.

You can goto www.microsoft.com and select you Windows OS version. Then select Windows Update.

I couldn't imagine what it could be in relation to cameras. :rolleyes:

With Windows ME, My Computer properties don't have 'system'. There's tabs for General, Device Manager, Hardware Profiles and Performance.

Is this something I need to know about my computer? You know, they say ignorance is bliss!!!

Dee: If you look at the General tab, that will state the OS and the Service pack. Example:

System:
Windows XP
Service Pack 1

Why this would relate to digital cameras is that we are using a USB interface. This would use a windows USB driver, and that could relate to a service pack update.

If mine says:
System:
Microsoft Windows ME

Then I have service pack 4.90.3000? I don't see 'Service Pack' anywhere. Maybe I don't have one!

I understand now why ya'll asked the question in relation to the camera.

I've use the C5050 to transfer files to Win 2K (SP3) and Win XP (SP1) without any of the problems you've described. I generally use Windows Explorer. Even with it 'parked' on the memory card it still manages to stop the device.

The only time I've come across this problem is when I open an image directly from the memory card using a program like Photoshop. This was easily solved by closing the image and application.

Another possibility I can think of might be if you're using Camedia software to manage your photos. I haven't use it at all but if you are it might be worth not using it and using Windows Explorer instead.

The only stoopid thing is if you've got 2 cards in the C5050. They don't show up as different drive letters. You have to stop the device, unplug it, select CF/xD, then plug the camera in again. Apart from that it's tolerably fast and doesn't do too much damage to the battery life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom