Oly 5060

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Benzonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone had a serious look at this yet. Waiting to see if I can grab a cheap one in the sales after xmas, the Oly housing is supposed to be released very soon.

Not really sure if its worth getting or should I just resort for the 5050. I do like the wide angle lens feature but its at F2.8 when compared to the F1.8 of the 5050. Would this make much difference or not?

Benzonar:
Anyone had a serious look at this yet. Waiting to see if I can grab a cheap one in the sales after xmas, the Oly housing is supposed to be released very soon.

Not really sure if its worth getting or should I just resort for the 5050. I do like the wide angle lens feature but its at F2.8 when compared to the F1.8 of the 5050. Would this make much difference or not?

I bought the 5060 and have been very happy with it. Ikelight will have a housing out mid January for about $600. The PT 020 should be out about the same time. The big advantages are less shutter lag, and a hotshoe so no need for using a slave strobe. I have compared the 5050 and 5060 side by side (a buddy has a 5050) and like the 5060 much better. Additionally, another buddy has the 5050 and pt015 and strongly recommeded the 5060 over the 5050. I was not too happy about the propriatary battery, but I sucked it up and paid $60 for a second one. They charge fast enough to be able to put a fresh set in every 3rd dive.

For underwater use, you are much better off paying the extra $$ and going for the 5050. On land, I'm not sure there would be much of a difference between the lenses, but underwater, there will be.

Personally I don't think the F1.8 vs F2.8 is a big deal. I don't think I ever needed to shoot with F1.8 before and I always set my camera to ISO64.
My biggest concern for the C5060 is the inability to use external wet lens, especially wide angle lens. Olympus does make land wide angle lens with housing that can be used with PT-020 housing but from what I heard, it is not nearly as wide as most of the third party wetmount lens, let alone using an Inon wide angle lens with Inon domeport.

Benzonar:

here is a site where i ordered mine. i got mine for 440 it just dropped to 435 today. talked to them on the phone they say this is from olympus america and is the standard package.

http://www.infinitycameras.com/

good luck

I have used the Oly 5050C and had very good results, but have also been frustrated by the long firing delay, (too many pics of half a fish...and challenging even with stationary targets when one is being swept along the Browning Wall by a 2-3 knot current). The lack of a TTL flash connector is another concern. The 5060 is also supposed to have a better histogram, but I will/would miss the f1.8 lens, which I find is quite often useful for the underwater and available light shots i prefer.

I just got the Oly C5060 for Christmas. So far, above water, it's a dream!!!!!!! I love this camera!!!!!!!!!

Jason

KWS:
here is a site where i ordered mine. i got mine for 440 it just dropped to 435 today. talked to them on the phone they say this is from olympus america and is the standard package.

http://www.infinitycameras.com/

good luck

I just spoke tyo these people and checked on the warrenty. they say it is us/american. however because of the on slaught of orders i have been back ordered for 5-6 weeks the price of 435 is a good price even if the price go's up in 5-6 weeks. they have no problem with canceling your order if you are in a hurry. and no charge till shippment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom