Oly 5050 - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addict .....That is a really really nice setup ...Some of the photos I've seen that camera produce have been incredible.

Good Luck with it ...and we expect LOTS of pictures:wink:

Addict once bubbled...
Ok. I did it.

Bought the 5050 from B&H. Bought the PT-015 from UWDigital.

Now I just got to find a way to pay for it....:rolleyes:

Thanks for all of the help!
I just wanted to let you know that this camera has a "feature" that has annoyed my wife so bad she wants to take her 5050 back. What happens is the image in the viewfinder is NOT what you get in the actual picture, it "jumps" (as my wife refers to it) and cuts off the top of whatever you had composed in the viewfinder. This really comes into play with close-ups, or tall things.

Of course, if you use the "Quickview", this is not a problem. Unfortunately, in bright sunlight (we were in Maui) the LCD view is worthless, so you need to use the viewfinder.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about (though this pic was taken with my C4000-Z, which has this same "feature"). This flower was perfectly framed in my vewfinder, but this is what I ended up with:

hawaiian-flower.jpg

Don't get me wrong, the 5050 takes VERY nice pictures, but this "jump" thing is definitely something to be aware of, IMHO.

Jimmie

kalvyn,

Yeah, I had read about that 'problem'. Apparently is happens on a lot of Olympus Cameras.

For the price, I think it will do fine for us for now. I figure it will be outdated in a few years anyway - so I can 'adjust' for this problem. It is unfortunate, but I am willing to deal with it :rolleyes:

Thanks for the warning though:D

Addict once bubbled...
kalvyn,

Yeah, I had read about that 'problem'. Apparently is happens on a lot of Olympus Cameras.

For the price, I think it will do fine for us for now. I figure it will be outdated in a few years anyway - so I can 'adjust' for this problem. It is unfortunate, but I am willing to deal with it :rolleyes:

Thanks for the warning though:D
Yeah, it doesn't really bother me either, but my wife really hates it. She is an excellent photographer though, and just has certain expectations on how her gear should perform.

PLease let us know how your underwater housing works out! I almost bought one for my 4000 before we went to Hawaii, but couldn't bring myself to shell out $600. In retrospect, I wish I had as the el-cheapo underwater point and shoots we bought at K-Mart just didn't do it for me.

Jimmie

kalvyn once bubbled...

PLease let us know how your underwater housing works out! I almost bought one for my 4000 before we went to Hawaii, but couldn't bring myself to shell out $600. In retrospect, I wish I had as the el-cheapo underwater point and shoots we bought at K-Mart just didn't do it for me.

Jimmie

Sounds like your talking about the Ikelite housing for that kind of money...... For $250 (I think the C-4000 will fit in the PT-010) you are good to go....and its a Very popular housing

QUESTION :
The macro problem ..... the camera doesn’t show a "reduced field of view" when you go into macro mode???....Or let me put it another way ...... instead of having the full area of the view finder available (as in normal modes) you only have say 3/4 of the viewable area available to frame for the macro shot....(even though the whole area in the viewfinder can "see" your subject)

I personally dont have that problem with my camera ..... and other cameras we have had compensate for the macro modes in a manner similar to what I described above

Finesse once bubbled...

Sounds like your talking about the Ikelite housing for that kind of money...... For $250 (I think the C-4000 will fit in the PT-010) you are good to go....and its a Very popular housing
Well, I was not aware that the Oly housings would work for my 4000 at the time. That was before I discovered this wonderful diving resource. :) I had looked at Oly's website, and the 4000 was not listed in any of the listings as working with their UW housings. You are correct, I was looking at the Ikelite, as it explicitly listed the 4000 as a supported camera. I'll have to have a look at the PT-010, thanks for the tip!

QUESTION :
The macro problem ..... the camera doesn’t show a "reduced field of view" when you go into macro mode???....Or let me put it another way ...... instead of having the full area of the view finder available (as in normal modes) you only have say 3/4 of the viewable area available to frame for the macro shot....(even though the whole area in the viewfinder can "see" your subject)
No, the "feature" I'm talking about happens in normal picture-taking mode, I've not yet used macro mode. In my example pic that I posted above, I just framed the flower so that the top of it was the top of the viewfinder, and the bottom of the flower was at the bottom of the viewfinder. The resulting pic "jumped" as compared to what I had composed in the viewfinder.

I also took some palm tree pictures, and the same thing would happen. I would frame the top of the palm to be at the top of the viewfinder, and the resulting pic would "jump" down, and not get the whole top of the palm tree. It's easilly reproduced, although it doesn't annoy me that much. This "feature" has annoyed my wife so much, she's returning her 5050 and getting a different brand of digital camera, though (most likely Nikon).

Jimmie

As for the housing talk to Allan....he's the one that can help you out with that housing......I think there are several users of that housing and your camera around here....

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom