Oly 5050 - Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Addict

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey all! I am just about to pull the trigger on buying a Oly 5050 & Oly p-15(?) housing online. I have found several places that show $550 - $650 on the 5050, and the housing is $300 at UWDigital (is there a place cheaper for the housing?)

I have some questions...

1. It appears that the 5050 accepts several types of media (SM, CF, etc.) Is there a reason why you would choose 1 type of media over another? Which is best? I know that I can pick up some rediculously cheap CF, but the SM is more expensive.

2. Shutter speed. I noticed when I rented a digital in Grand Cayman, the Shutter takes about a second after you 'press the button'. Will this occur with the 5050? Is it a common digital drawback?

Thanks for the help!:D

Dont have one ..........

YET!!!!!!……and have been looking closely at them

U/W digital would be my choice to buy that housing .....Allan is great to deal with

Media cards .....Storage capacity I think SM is only 128mb and fills up quick .... CF are larger and I THINK ....some have the ability to 'write" or accept data quicker xD card??( and from what I have heard the files on the camera are quite large...) you want that to happen quickly...

Shutter lag ..... still there......but there are ways to make it less noticeable

Arg... Confused. Notice my price above... Here is another 'price shopper'
CNET Olympus 5050 price shopper

Notice the 4th one down "DigitalEtailer.com". CNET says "Authorized Dealer = NO" (Price $617.00). But you go to their website and it says in red text "SHOP WITH CONFIDENCE! THIS PRODUCT IS BRAND NEW WITH USA WARRANTY.
WE DO NOT SELL GRAY MARKET MERCHANDISE!"

I have seen this type of statement on several of the 'cheaper' sites. Some even say sealed box, manufacturer's warranty included.

So is it Grey Market? If they are NOT an authorized dealer, but have a 'manufaturers warranty' will Olympus honor it?

I am confused!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Personally I would buy from an Olympus authorized dealer.....

I think B&H photo is selling the camera for $699.... FWIW and they are an Olympus authorized dealer

That might be one of those warranty deals that you send the camera back to them (the online retailer) and they fix it .....

you might email Olympus and see what they have to say about them

1. It appears that the 5050 accepts several types of media (SM, CF, etc.) Is there a reason why you would choose 1 type of media over another? Which is best? I know that I can pick up some rediculously cheap CF, but the SM is more expensive.

2. Shutter speed. I noticed when I rented a digital in Grand Cayman, the Shutter takes about a second after you 'press the button'. Will this occur with the 5050? Is it a common digital drawback?

1. Being my first digital camera (and hence not having memory cards from a previous camera) I use the 128xD picturecard - faster R/W speed, verrry tiny, support to 8Gig proposed. Olympus has a 256Meg out now.
It's more expensive than an equivalent CF or SM card but I think it's worth it. Also only Oly and Fuji (won't support panorama feature) make it as yet.

2. Yes the shutter lag is still there on the 5050 - you'll find that on most consumer and prosumer digital cameras. Workaround is to keep it half-pressed and fire at the correct moment. It can be a bit frustrating as many a fish b*tt photos testify....

Re: auth. dealer: advice: for cameras buy from auth. dealers in your country - not worth saving a few bucks for the hassle should your camera pack up.

I've got 3 128mb Smart media cards left over from my last camera. At this point they will only serve as backup to the 512 mb CF card that goes into the opposite slot in the 5050. (You can actually get CF up to 1 GB.)
The size of files (3-4 mb with SHQ) makes it difficult to shoot Smart Media at this point. You would only get between 30 and 40 pics per card. Yes, you could shoot at HQ and get twice that, but with the CF option why would you. If you're a good shopper you can get a 512mb CF for around $175. As far as the dX card goes, I understand that it does have a faster write time. Once they make it in a larger storage capacity it may be the way to go.

BTW....you'll love the 5050!

Steve

I saw several Oly's win awards at last years Monterey Shootout - U/W photo contest. The TETRA Housing was the most popular and some were getting 60+ photos per dive.

Yes, shutter lag is one downside to Digital, but another is the loss of ray beams when shooting upwards with a sun in the background - the contrast washes them out. Here is an excellent article about Film vs Digital

Wow! You guys have been really helpful!

I asked about the media, because I have a couple of 128MB CF cards already - and that would save me a bit upfront. But I didn't know if the others were faster or something. Either way - I can make sure to try and make my next media purchase an xD - thanks for the tips on the panorama.

RSdiver - I did see the Tetra housing, but I am really on a budget. I need to get my wife the camera for our next trip and the Oly housing seems to be the best option for the short-term. We don't have a strobe, and might need the bits of light that can make it through the p-15 housing. Plus it's cheaper.

Finesse - what is B&H ? Do they have a website?

I am going to try to get ahold of Olympus today about the "Full Manufacturers Warrantee" claims made by unauthorized retailers to get the low-down. Hopefully I can talk to someone who knows what they are talking about =)

Thanks again for the tips! I will be coming back soon to read the tips on UW photography...:D

Ok just got off the phone with Olympus. From CNET shopper, I gave them several names of companies. CNET Shopper has a column stating "Authorized Dealer" (Yes or No).

Well, I read off some of the dealers that said 'No' - and it was correct. But I read off some that said 'Yes' and they didn't show up either. All unauthorized.

So what does this mean? Olympus says that unauthorized dealers are 'Resellers'. Manufacturer Warrantees only cover the first purchaser.

Wierd. I asked how Oly would distinguish if it was 'resold' or from a Authorized Dealer - and I don't think the guy knew. He just became slightly agitated at my questions, so I let him go.

Still confused.:(

Oly 5050 for $615.00 - "Not Grey Market"
I may just buy the one above...

Addict

Here is a link to that website once you find the camera , Click on "email me a lower price" , put in your email address and they send you a quote right away......$699.00 today

Several have purchased them on EBay also

As to the other question.....and If I'm not mistaken ..... and I could very well be..... those shops unauthorized, buy the cameras from authorized dealer , I would guess with a slight profit margin to the original dealer, and then turn around and resell them undercutting the authorized dealers retail price......you can get the camera from them and everything be fine ....but I think ReyeR said it if something goes wrong you could have problems.....I think Olympus has a dealer list on there website …. B& H, along with many others, is listed ….. you might try there for more options.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom