OLY 5050 housing / strobes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubamedicjoe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
ok been seriously thinking of buy the oly 5050 but housing not sure yet .
any suggestion and please why you suggest this housing
Ikelite housing states be ready this Jan was told would be rated to 200 feet . any others out there that someone would recommend .
also strobes I have a sealife sl 960 strobe that is still in operation can this strobe be used at all . if not any one got any more recommendations guess i will need arm to hold all this too thanks medic13
DEE you moving me in right direction getting me away from my sealife film camera
all though its takes great picture film getting expensive !!!

If depth is a big requirment for you, you may also check into the Light and Motion Tetra housing. I'm not sure of the depth rating exactly but with a metal body, it should be close to the Ikelite.

I don't know enough about Ikelites housings to say for sure if your strobe will work. It needs to be able to read a digital cameras pre-flash, and I'm not sure if the new housing will have a hot wire or not. You should call or write Ikelite to find out for sure. My guess would be no, you can't use it.

the tray and arm will depend on which housing and strobe you end up with.

If you would be interested in a lovingly used C-4040 and PT-010 housing, I know where one is available.

If I'm not mistaken ....I think the new Ike Housing will have a bulkhead in it for a sync cord.....

Depth rating .... The Tetra housing is rated to 200' also ..... I dont think they have a housing out for the 5050 yet..... Other thing is that housing starts at $1000

Dee once bubbled...
If you would be interested in a lovingly used C-4040 and PT-010 housing, I know where one is available.

Now let me see, I seem to remember.....

Dee once bubbled...
I DO not want a 5050....I do NOT want a 5050....I do not NEED a 5050....

:D :D

It's not mine! I've decided to go for the record for longest owned and continuously used first underwater digital camera. :wink:

ChrimsM from Digital Diver is the one who's upgrading.

Well, I'm glad we got THAT cleared up. I was thinking Dee gave in to the upgrade as well :)

well i been playing around and it seems the oly 5050 will fire my sealife strobe SL690 there are no cables but at bottom of strobe appears two clear lens areathat are about a dim in size . since there isnt any cables what makes it fires then any ideas .

Sounds like your Sealife is a slave strobe and the internal flash is setting it off. Problem is....digital cameras use a pre-flash then immediately the regular flash, you'll never see them both. If your strobe isn't designed to ignore the pre-flash, it will trigger off it and not be re-cycled in time to take the picture.

I believe that the 5050 has a slave setting for the internal strobe. This will prevent the camera from using a preflash. You might just be in luck! :)

Read your owners manual for how to set the strobe to the slave function.

Steve

I had forgotten the 5050 could do that! Thanks Steve

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom