Older Regulator Advice Requested

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

guruboy

Divemaster
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have the option to buy some older regs, around $30-50 each. Both seem to be early 90's or older.

One is a Conshelf 22 and the other is an older Sherwood Brut.
I've heard people describe the 22 as pretty reliable but I haven't found much info on the older Sherwood Brut model.

Would one be preferred over the other? Maybe one is cheaper/easier to service?

TIA

IMG_9621.JPG
IMG_9623.JPG

Assuming you are getting a matching first stage, the Conshelf for sure. It's a very well proven design, around since the mid 60s and still the basis of most current Aqualung designs.
The Brute is a solid reg but it's also a bottom end one.
Service wise the cost difference is minimal, same labor but the Conshelf kit will cost a little more.

Check for hairline cracks on the second stage near the hose if the Conshelf has a plastic body.

How can I identify the 1st stage? When I looked, I could not find any designations.

Count the ports?

The Brut used to be the work horse of a lot of rental stock and for a good reason. They're bullet proof. Compared to modern regs, however, they're stiff, especially deep.

I have an old Aqualung that's similar to the Conshelf and although I don't know the Conshelf in the picture, the Aqualung I have breathes better than the Brut. IIRC there were issues with the older US divers 1st stages. I think it had to do with the metal in the A-clamp not being robust enough and developing cracks. Inspect the A-clamp carefully for that. Other than that, the basic design is pretty much as reliable as a regulator gets.

R..

there sometimes is a sticker on the yoke knob to denote the model. the conshelf 21/22 will have 4 LP 3/8 ports instead of 3.

How can I identify the 1st stage? When I looked, I could not find any designations.

Count the ports?

The older US divers regs have the serial number stamped on the second stage under the mouthpiece. I'm not sure about the one you have but if it's old enough then the first 2 digits of the serial number will be the year of manufacture, which should help you narrow down which 1st stage you're looking at.

That said, your reg has the general appearance of a late 80's or early 90's design so I'm not sure if they were still doing serial numbers the same way at that point.

R..

If it's a 21/22 then the yoke will easily handle 3000 psi and a lot more.
The only place you will find a model on the first stage is on the yoke knob itself and some of those don't have it on them, just depends on which one it has.
Here is an older Conshelf first stage but the later (70-90s) all look pretty much the same except for the ports. US Divers Conshelf XIV 1st Stage Regulator
There are some better second stages but you would be hard pressed to find a more dependable first stage, there is a reason the reg was in production for over 40 years.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom