Older Poseiden Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MarkH

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone know anything about this older Poseiden reg? I just got it cheap and was wondering if there are still replacement/servicing parts for it. It says"1225" on the first stage, but I don't know if that's the model # or something else. Other than that it just says "Poseiden, Sweden" on the first and second stages. Thanks.

this is an old "cyklon 300" and you still can find overhaul parts. Anyway, the outlets are no more standards, and you need adapters for pressure jauge and ds. I think I've got some.

Yea, we see those every now and then... probably have the rebuild kits in stock... and if venturi doesn't have the adapters... we keep those around normally. See back then, Poseidon used metric threads. If you look at the hose, you will see the treads on it are a light tighter than a standard 3/8 hose today.

Now some will say, you shouldn't have adapters on there, as that's more o-rings, potential failure points, etc....

If you're doing it for antique value.. cool... If you doing it because you wanted a good deal on a reg, you will probably have more in a rebuild, adapters plus the reg than you would in a new odin.... But anyone can buy one of those... you darn near have a piece of history!

Thanks for the info. That's good to know about the threads. It came with a pressure gauge and all the othe ports are plugged. I was just thinking of using it for a back-up on a bailout or something. It was less than $30 so I didn't worry too much about the investment factor.

The Cyklons came in both flavors, though the "metric" was the most common. The thread is actually an oddball "G1/8", a UK pipe thread. You tell the difference by unscrewing the 2nd stage hose; if it has an o-ring around the hose threads, it's a slightly newer model. If the threads seal by butting up against a little flat nylon washer seated inside the reg, it's the older version.
Watch out for the HP hose fitting though; the new ones can "just about" fit into the old version w/o stripping. I know a couple guys that dove them for years like that, a kind of scary proposition.
The 2nd stage kits for the Cyklon 300 are identical to the 2nd stage kits used on the reg being made today, the 5000. Both 1st & 2nd stage kits are readily available.
I still use my 300s, as does the head reg tech in in the biggest shop in my area. The dang things just keep on working, & are very hard to kill.
Better check out the HP fitting on the gauge hose though, just to make sure someone hasn't managed to thread the wrong one in there without stripping the body.
Oh yah, you'll probably want to get an antifreeze cup for it. I use rum, though any "high octane" beverage will do. :wink:

Bob3:
The Cyklons came in both flavors, though the "metric" was the most common. The thread is actually an oddball "G1/8", a UK pipe thread. You tell the difference by unscrewing the 2nd stage hose; if it has an o-ring around the hose threads, it's a slightly newer model. If the threads seal by butting up against a little flat nylon washer seated inside the reg, it's the older version.
Watch out for the HP hose fitting though; the new ones can "just about" fit into the old version w/o stripping. I know a couple guys that dove them for years like that, a kind of scary proposition.
The 2nd stage kits for the Cyklon 300 are identical to the 2nd stage kits used on the reg being made today, the 5000. Both 1st & 2nd stage kits are readily available.
I still use my 300s, as does the head reg tech in in the biggest shop in my area. The dang things just keep on working, & are very hard to kill.
Better check out the HP fitting on the gauge hose though, just to make sure someone hasn't managed to thread the wrong one in there without stripping the body.
Oh yah, you'll probably want to get an antifreeze cup for it. I use rum, though any "high octane" beverage will do. :wink:
Thanks again. It seems I have the older version (no o-rings, unless they were invisible back then). The HP hose seems fine. It screws in nice and smooth and the threads don't look chewed.

scubatoys:
Yea, we see those every now and then... probably have the rebuild kits in stock... and if venturi doesn't have the adapters... we keep those around normally. See back then, Poseidon used metric threads. If you look at the hose, you will see the treads on it are a light tighter than a standard 3/8 hose today.

Now some will say, you shouldn't have adapters on there, as that's more o-rings, potential failure points, etc....

If you're doing it for antique value.. cool... If you doing it because you wanted a good deal on a reg, you will probably have more in a rebuild, adapters plus the reg than you would in a new odin.... But anyone can buy one of those... you darn near have a piece of history!

On some Cyclon 300's I think the threads were Whitworth, an old British standard, not metric. While I can't recall who told me that, I do know they were neither American Standard nor metric because a machinist and I went over them on my reg carefully with American and metric thread gauges.

Back
Top Bottom