Older guy Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. . . At home, it is much easier to extend the "pool time" schedule and adjust the open water schedule. . .

. . . I am sure Cozumel has excellent facilities (fortunately I've never had to use them, except for a covid test last April so I could return home...) but home will always be better in that regard.
Inability to get pool time is what is currently delaying his certification. There are many quality dive shops in Cozumel that can make sure he gets the pool time he needs during a week there, which should be plenty of time for most people.

As for medical, while the OP's home town of Cortland, NY is in a beautiful part of New York State, I have no doubt that Cozumel would be better prepared to handle any dive-related medical issues. Cozumel has at least 2 hyperbaric chambers right on the island and doctors that practice dive medicine on a daily basis, since there are hundreds or more people diving every day in Cozumel. The average number of people diving in Cortland, NY on most days would likely be 0 or very close to it.

As for medical, while the OP's home town of Cortland, NY is in a beautiful part of New York State, I have no doubt that Cozumel would be better prepared to handle any dive-related medical issues. Cozumel has at least 2 hyperbaric chambers right on the island and doctors that practice dive medicine on a daily basis, since there are hundreds or more people diving every day in Cozumel.

Exactly my point.

When I mention medical care in a thread about scuba diving, younger people automatically think "medical care for dive related emergencies." Older people (I'm not quite there yet, but my mom's in her 70's and is a regular active diver... so we've had plenty of conversations about this) see medical care in a different light: something which is an ongoing concern and not necessarily an emergency, but certainly something that might become necessary due to physical activity. It has nothing to do with hyperbaric chambers... I'm much more concerned about my mom injuring herself from a fall while we're on a dive trip than I am of her getting a DCS hit and needing a chamber.

And of course most older Americans have their health care covered by Medicare... not sure how that works outside of the US.

The point of my post was not about comparing the quality of available medical care in Cozumel vs the OP's home state. The point of my post was to suggest that older people starting out as new divers may have unique considerations that only someone with their perspective can appreciate.

As for the pool time... I explained in my post that my experience with older students is that extra pool time is desirable. Vacation time is limited. If the OP was to assume that he could have as much pool time as he likes for his OW class during a one week trip, he might find the dive shop is accommodating or he might find they have difficulty making the entire class happen within the week. I mentioned the pool time as something to consider, certainly something to ask a prospective shop about if he should choose to go the Cozumel route for his OW class.

My certification is at a standstill for lack of contained water space. The dive shop I am affiliated with has cancelled training until a suitable pool location can be found.

Hmmm... that is a problem, nowhere to do confined water.

Cozumel is nice, I was there in April and we're going again in a few months. But I'd suggest Key Largo (was there a couple months ago) as an alternative. A lot of the same advantages as Cozumel (warm water, lot of scuba infrastructure...) without having to leave the country.

I only mentioned Cozumel because it is warm and friendly and the dive instructors at SCUBA Club will coddle and baby a student with individual attention and tote your tanks and get you all fixed up unlike some domestic shops. And Key Largo is another excellent place though more money.

Exactly my point.

When I mention medical care in a thread about scuba diving, younger people automatically think "medical care for dive related emergencies." Older people --------. The point of my post was not about comparing the quality of available medical care in Cozumel vs the OP's home state. The point of my post was to suggest that older people starting out as new divers may have unique considerations that only someone with their perspective can appreciate.

Did the OP say he has medical issues? I guess I am getting confused with the medical concerns? Well, I do not know what to say. If the OP wants to get SCUBA certified there are options. As to you "younger" folks, if y'all slip and fall I will pick you up. Older, hmmmmppph.

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom