Older and less bolder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trace,

As always, really nice post and great info. Thanks for taking the time to put it in writing.

But a solo shallow water blackout!!!!???? Holy cow. Not something I would ever imagine was surviveable. That scares the crap out of me just reading about it. I'll pass!!!

Best wishes.

Trace,

As always, really nice post and great info. Thanks for taking the time to put it in writing.

But a solo shallow water blackout!!!!???? Holy cow. Not something I would ever imagine was surviveable. That scares the crap out of me just reading about it. I'll pass!!!

Best wishes.

Yeah, God was with me. I spent too much time smiling and profiling for a big scuba class taking pictures at 95 feet. The last thing I remember was looking at the surface. The next thing I knew, I was being poked by a female scuba diver asking me if I was okay.

Turns out she had seen me floating face down motionless for some time and swam over to see if I was alright. Unlike many freedivers, I don't think that retaining the snorkel during ascent will cause drowning. But, that's an argument for another time. In this case, the fact that I was weighted to be buoyant at 25 feet and the fact that I usually use expansion snorkel clearing allowed me to black out, drift up, and have no water in the tube while it was still in place in my mouth.

It takes a few moments to figure out that you are, in fact, waking up in water and remember how you got there! :D

Trace, you make a number of valid points. At the end of the day, if we are truly diving alone, and don't especially care if we are equipped to assist someone else who might be diving near us, then there is really no "right" way to configure gear.

In my case however, where freeze up is a constant "threat", then having a completely redundant, isolatable (is that a word?) system is mandatory. I learned this the hard way a few decades when my primary reg froze up and I ended up with a massive free-flow at 170' on a single 72. I rode that tank up as far as I could before switching over to a 13 cf pony. By then I was up to about 30' and was able to hang for a bit. That was about the last time I dove a single tank up here.

I was fortunate that this happened early in the dive so I hadn't racked up much deco obligation, but it would truly suck to suffer a major free flow when you have a mandatory hang and nothing to do it on!

One of the tricks with freeze-up is that the most likely cause is having a little moisture in the gas. Since most of us fill doubles both tanks at a time, both tanks will have the same gas in them. If one reg freezes, then there is a reasonable chance that the other one could as well. (There was an unfortunate case of an experienced diver dieing up here a few years ago. He was under the ice and had both regs, plus both inflators freeze pinning him to the underside of the ice. He had a buddy, but he was unsuccessful in helping...)

If you are an "aware" diver, you can generally sense when a second stage is "thinking" about freezing... a little extra flow after you stop inhaling, for example. When I feel that, I'll switch regs to give the first one a "rest". The water is above freezing temp, so it will thaw any ice forming around the second stage valve...

I'm going to stick to my double configuration, but that is dictated largely by the cold water here, and the depth I generally dive.

I dive vintage both solo and with vintage buddies. Unless the dive op wants octo or BC I dive without both either solo or buddy and so do my buddies. No pony either, they are for riding though a diving pony would be a good circus act

Couldn't have said it better myself!

Back
Top Bottom