Older and less bolder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

East West

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I took my octo off 17 years ago since most of my diving was solo or with friends and went separate directions . I just wonder what you think of this and your type of set up . I have a scuba pro second that goes on the BC power inflater but have not used it either . I was thinking to lengthen the BC inflater hose and dump valve to use as a workable second stage .

When I soloed on a short hose set up I had taken the octo off also. However I slung a 30 cft pony for bailout if ever needed. So if I was diving with a buddy, I could always donate if needed and redundancy when soloing.

Hey, do whatever floats your boat, Charles. One of the truly nice things about solo diving is you only have to live up to your own expectations ... and nobody but you has to deal with the consequences of your decisions.

Personally, I like that part ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I use the same setup as when I dive with buddies.

1.) I have limited brain capacity, so keeping things the same is important :D
2.) Just because I'm solo does not mean I'll never encounter another diver.... possibly an OOA diver. I want to be able to help that diver if needed. Same reason I carry a First Aid kit in my car.

But if you are really and truely solo.... no octo needed I guess.

Best wishes.

But if you are really and truely solo.... no octo needed I guess.

My "octo" is my second reg on my second tank. Freeze-up is always a possibility up here (the water was 38 this weekend) so it's nice to have the second just in case the first one freezes up. I can shut it down and keep diving until the ice thaws...

Me too, but with a Seaquest Airsource that has two shorter hoses joined by a tubular dump handle. Then for bc 2, I made my own handle. These days Apeks, long hose no handle did some breathing, some dumping, corner of mouth pulling and since, never use the reg unless I'm fiddling or have hangbore. I know, but it matches my console. A sprung ceramic seal is not required in his application.

I dive vintage both solo and with vintage buddies. Unless the dive op wants octo or BC I dive without both either solo or buddy and so do my buddies. No pony either, they are for riding though a diving pony would be a good circus act

I don't have an octopus second on solo dives, as I use redundant regulators. My solo "pleasure" dives are usually deep, as I refuse to dive with anyone that I don't know well past 150'. If I'm diving less than this and have a buddy, I'll either use two regs or put on an octopus. I use an octopus when instructing entry SCUBA classes, otherwise I use a redundant system.

I look at my octo as a "backup" to my primary.
My pony "system" is a back up to my main tank and reg system.
To me, the life stay to solo diving is redundancy.

But as most have said, do what you feel comfy with and dont chatise those that do it different.

I took my octo off 17 years ago since most of my diving was solo or with friends and went separate directions . I just wonder what you think of this and your type of set up . I have a scuba pro second that goes on the BC power inflater but have not used it either . I was thinking to lengthen the BC inflater hose and dump valve to use as a workable second stage .

I think how we configure our equipment for solo diving depends a lot on the type of solo diving we are doing, the possible risks involved, and where we are diving.

I do as much solo diving in places where there are no other divers around as I do in places where there are lots of divers. Experienced has taught mke that I have made the most rescues of other divers while freediving and while solo freediving because I've had a bird's eye view of the dive site and I have been at the surface when victims have bolted then needed help. I don't change my equipment at all when solo freediving. I use mask, fins, snorkel, weightbelt, wetsuit and long blade fins without "safety" vests or other things that you can't activate when unconscious. Three SWBO's (fortunately I survived a solo one as well) have taught me that when you black out, you have no idea you are going to black out. But, when you feel like you are going to black out and die, you are probably aren't and that's just the CO2 screaming at you! Which probably means you didn't drop it low enough to con you into thinking you are feeling great when you are about to black out or die.

Based upon the experience of minding my own business and becoming a rescuer, I want the ability to rescue others if I encounter a low or OOG diver while I am solo diving. For that reason, even if I didn't need a back-up regulator myself, I want it to help others. A back-up regulator also allows you to more safely inflate open cell lift bags or DSMB's. Working with bags is more dangerous for a solo diver so having a ready cutting tool and a way of inflating the bag to keep it away from the body and equipment is a good thing. You can go to your back-up regulator, use your primary to inflate a bag keeping the bag away from you, then return to your primary after the bag is deployed.

For most of my solo diving, I wear my Hogarthian doubles rig. Even with the shortened corrugated inflator hose, it can still reach my mouth and I demonstrate using this in class as a third regulator when I teach tech or solo diving. I have yet to get a lung infection from doing so. I wear my Hogarthian rig simply because it works fine for a backmount solo diving configuration and I don't need to change anything from one dive to the next. I can do a solo dive then go right into a team dive with all needed gear.

For recreational level diving, I have the redundancy I need with the isolation manifold. If I add a Nitrox 50 bottle for a cleaner ascent, I have the added benefit of a safe redundant gas source apart from my doubles from 70 feet to the surface. A bottom stage will give me either 80 cubic feet of redundant gas from the bottom up or 154 cubic feet if I dive the bottom stage and save the gas in my doubles.

I have done a lot of solo cave diving in backmount with a buddy/stage bottle, but I recently have acquired a Nomad sidemount system I'm going to employ for solo cave and other solo diving when it is needed.

One day, when working as a lifeguard, I was performing some underwater maintenance and installing moorings for a sailing regatta. I found that I could use some scuba rather than breath hold dive to make my job easier. My tanks were empty, but I had a 19 cuft argon bottle filled entirely with air. I added the bottle and a stage reg to my weightbelt by taking the loop from my canister light and then wearing the bottle on my hip. Worked great!

Ultimately, the nice thing about solo diving is that we can think and problem-solve for ourselves. Solo divers are often rugged individualists who are confident about their abilities and accept the risks of choices they make. When it comes to equipment, we often must balance what we don't need, what we do need, with what would be nice to have without having too much or too little. Too much gear can be as problematic as too little.

There is a difference between a solo diver and someone diving solo. That difference is often knowledge. With that in mind, I cannot comment whether I think getting rid of your octo is a good idea or not. You are the one who knows where you dive, how you dive, and whether or not a back-up regulator on your primary gas source is useful. I would bet that it would be useful even if you never use it. When skydiving, I never used my reserve canopy, but I'm glad it was there. It sounds like an octo incorporated into your BC LP hose would be a wise decision. It's minimal and gives yu the option. Plus, from teaching using the BC inflator as a third reg, I really wouldn't want that action to be my next choice after a primary failure.

In order:

1) Primary failure switch to back up regulator
2) Back-up failure switch to buddy bottle
3) Buddy bottle reg failure switch to inflator hose breathing (if primary first stage works)
4) If all regs have failed switch to tank valve breathing buddy bottle

Having a bad day like that would mean that someone probably no longer wants you alive and you'll probably get killed driving home. :wink:

I'd rather not have to do a primary reg failure switch to inflator hose breathing.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom