Old Tank - Hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Also sadly true. :shakehead:

Being a Catalina there is a good chance he can find shops that will fill it. The trouble comes when you're out of town, in need of a fill and wander into an aluminum phobic shop.

Pete

New term "Alumaphopic LDS"

New term "Alumaphopic LDS"

I like it :rofl3:

I have my original "US Divers" 72 bought in 1977 (used, in fact!) - just can't bring myself to get rid of it :D

I was told by an LDS a few years ago that they would fill it - but required a visual each time, making the cost per fill about $25 :shakehead::confused::rofl3: And I think they were serious :shocked2:

I dunno - I've read the stories and seen the pictures when a tank explodes (no, not the thread on this board about that happening - the real thing) - people lose limbs, lives, so I can see their point - just hate (most) blanket rules in general, but since I went to steel a few years ago (although still have 4 AL) it does not effect me much.

That thread had some good info in it until the miscreants got ahold of it :d
Posted via Mobile Device

That thread had some good info in it until the miscreants got ahold of it :d
Posted via Mobile Device

And what did the mscreants post that you disagree with.

Very true

The problem will come in about 6 years, as many LDS' refuse to fill an AL tank that is 20 or more years old - but for now you should be fine - "missing" visual or hydro dates will not matter assuming the tank passes the latest one

most of that "20 year" doesn't really have to do with 20 year old tanks but that they don't to fill tanks that are older than 1989 manufactured date. (which in 2009, is 20 years ago).

They just don't want to have to figure out which of the 20 year old tanks are made of 6351T alloy and which aren't. so it's easy to say "we don't fill tanks older than 20 years old".

I doubt he'll have trouble with a 1995 made tank, if it's older than 20 years or not (in the future).

And what did the mscreants post that you disagree with.

The ones that called for the thread to die :)

Posted via Mobile Device

probably not---I had 2(a Luxfer & a Catalina) from '85 & '86 respectively hydroed 1 year ago, both passed with flying colors---just had each one VIS'ed last month...

most of that "20 year" doesn't really have to do with 20 year old tanks but that they don't to fill tanks that are older than 1989 manufactured date. (which in 2009, is 20 years ago).

They just don't want to have to figure out which of the 20 year old tanks are made of 6351T alloy and which aren't. so it's easy to say "we don't fill tanks older than 20 years old".

I doubt he'll have trouble with a 1995 made tank, if it's older than 20 years or not (in the future).

Mike, you may be right - I just don't have the same level of "faith" in most LDS' :shakehead:

just rent your tanks, solves all the problems :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom