Old Steel Cylinder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sambolino44

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I didn't know where to even begin a search for this one, so I'm just going to ask here.

A guy at work gave me an old steel cylinder that was in his garage when he bought his house. He didn't know if it had any value, but he knew I was a diver and gave it to me. I took it to my LDS today, and nobody had ever seen anything like it. I left it at the shop, so I couldn't get any pictures of it, but you should have seen the home-made valve on that thing.

Anyway, I wonder if anybody here might be able to decipher these markings on it, and tell me what it is.

ICC-3A1300 SPUN (then there's a mark that looks like a letter N with the top right leg crossed like a T, in a circle)
F-404922
C-O-TWO F.E.C.O.
(a mark like Pluto, a P with the leg extended like an L) - 23
6-44

And on the back side:
2 (a mark I couldn't make out in a circle) 61

The neck on this thing is way bigger than a diving cylinder, and the valve had a handle on the top, like a propane tank. It had a brass, apparently home-made adapter on it to fit a yoke valve. The burst disk was under a solid plug, or maybe it had been filled with solder. We took the valve off (wish I had a video camera for that event) and looked inside, and it actually didn't look bad inside. The bottom of the cylinder is inverted, not flat or convex. It's yellow, with faint traces of red here and there.

I know ICC stands for Interstate Commerce Commission, which predates the DOT.

The guys at the shop deduced that it was made for carbon dioxide (thus the C-O-TWO) in June of 1944 (the 6-44) by a company named F.E.C.O. Apparently it was hydro-tested in February of 1961 (the 2(*)61 mark). And it looks like somebody rigged this non-diving cylinder up for SCUBA diving by brazing together a makeshift valve adapter.

I left the cylinder at the shop for now. If this post generates any interest, maybe I'll take my camera and get a picture.

I could not find 3A1300 and wonder if you don’t have a 3A 1800 psi cylinder?

Page 32 of this document:
http://www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=AD266120&Location=U2&doc=GetTRDoc.pdf
shows an ICC-3A1800 cylinder.

3A1800’s were used for various gases, including CO2. This document:
Section
indicates half a dozen different gases.

This document:
http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2004/octqtr/pdf/49cfr178.35.pdf
might explain the SPUN.

The word ‘‘spun’’ or ‘‘plug’’ must be placed near the DOT specification
marking when an end closure in the finished cylinder has been welded by
the spinning process, or effected by plugging.

I agree with knotical that it is 1800 not 1300 and was most likely a CO2 or O2 cylinder. The thread size is most likely 1" taper pipe thread. For the most part pretty much useless for diving as it will be just about impossible to get anyone to fill it.
Vintage divers like them doubled up and you could put it for sale on ebay in the vintage scuba section but don't expect much for it.

The 3A refers to the specifications seamless steel cylinder, and it basically specifies a carbon steel alloy, versus the later 3AA specification which calls for a Chrome-Molybdenum steel alloy. The alloy used on 3AA cylinders is a much higher strength steel allowing the use of much thinner walls, for the same cylinder diameters and design pressure.

The 3A cylinder would probably be quite heavy as compared to a similar pressure vessel of the same dimensions and working pressure.

Here are some photos of the valve that was on the cylinder.

Valve_Front.jpg

Valve_Back.jpg

I think you guys are right, it's probably from a fire extinguisher or something. And even if I could get it tested and stamped, good luck getting it filled.

Thanks, everyone!

More than likely it would pass hydro. A friend had two like it that were about the same age as yours that hadn't been hydroed in 40 years passed. Getting someone to fill it is the problem, know anyone with a compressor.

As long as it is only filled to its rated pressure (and has current hydro and vis) there should not be a problem filling it. Diving something like that another story. With the extra fittings etc you have more potential issues, and with the cost of used cylinders being very reasonable, I'd much rather dive a more modern cylinder. Now if your into collecting vintage dive gear, then that's another story. (Still would not dive it though).

Mat.

It looks like the perfect size for a pony bottle - get it tested and go use. With that strapped on I am sure you will not have any problems getting a buddy :D.

Wow, I bet all the old gear folk here like Luis and me are drooling over that adaptor!

Spun tanks have welded or plugged bottoms. So the older ones tend to be rated for lower pressures, or be of much heavier construction than other styles of tank construction. And 3A is older, less strong steel. So one would suspect the tank is a 1800 just because that is such a common rating, it doesnt automatically have to be, and it is quite possible that it is only 1300 considering its age.

Nice little artifact, of the early DIY days of diving!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom