old steel 72 buoyancy specs.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydro212

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure the buoyancy specifications for the old steel 72 tanks? Both full and empty.

hydro212:
Does anyone know for sure the buoyancy specifications for the old steel 72 tanks? Both full and empty.
The one I measured (with a USD Micra/SEA attached) is 5 pounds negative with 500 psi in it, just under 9 pounds negative full. (That would make it just under 4 pounds negative if completely empty - the valve itself is nearly a pound negative, and the SEA a couple, so just the tank is probably just about one pound negative when empty) The others seem to be the same.
S

They vary slightly as they were made by several manufacturers, but most of mine seem to be very slighty negative (about 1 lb negative) in the water with the valve attached with 500 psi. I have one noteable exception with one steel 72 out of the 20 or so I own being 3-4 lbs negative when empty.

I have 7 of them and at 500 psi with regulator attached they barely float in sea water.

Good point. I should have added I normally dive fresh water, which probably accounts for much of the the difference between barely floats and slightly negative.

Not what you asked for but I need exactly 2 more lbs when diving one of my old 72's instead of my 95 fabers to do my safety stop.
YMMV

Back
Top Bottom